Psu overheating and getting unusually warm

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Right now I've got a fan on the side of the open case directed to the psu and it keeps it cool when I put my palm on top of the tower. But if I remove the fan, especially if I'm playing a game, the psu gets warm and I've had one other psu burn on me before in the same way, except I didn't use the fan.

My rig:

CPU: AMD FX 6300(6 núcleos)
Video: GTX 1050 2GB
HD: WD 500GB 7200 Rpm SATA II and 1TB 2.5" 5400rpm Samsung
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-LMT78-S2
RAM: 8GB RAM DDR3
PSU: 500 Watts

PS: Using the Cooler Master PSU Wattage calculator, my PC should be drawing about 325W and the recommended PSU for it is a 375W one.

Solution
that is your problem

if it is taking hot air from the cpu to cool itself, well, it is not cooling itself so psu gets hot, alot

i had this problem with my previous case, a very old case with the psu on the top that i was using while i got my new case

once i moved to a new case with psu in the bottom, cpu lets flow hot air up/back(a 120mm fan in there) and psu takes cold air on the bottom of the case

the entire case now works colder, cooler

the change you describe has no sense, the later gpu uses less watts so should put less stress over the psu, less load

to me sounds like your no name no brand no idea of quality psu is saying good bye

i would recommend you to buy new case that has the psu on the bottom and a new psu with a big...

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

It's an old case, the psu is on top of the cpu, on top of the case pulling air out of the case and out the back of it.

The only fan I'm using is an external normal big fan sitting next to the open case.

The brand of the psu is practically unkown, but it didn't use to get warm before, it stayed cool all the time.
And the only significant change I've made is that I swapped video cards from an old GTX 460(drawed 160W) to
a newer 1050(draws about 75W).

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
that is your problem

if it is taking hot air from the cpu to cool itself, well, it is not cooling itself so psu gets hot, alot

i had this problem with my previous case, a very old case with the psu on the top that i was using while i got my new case

once i moved to a new case with psu in the bottom, cpu lets flow hot air up/back(a 120mm fan in there) and psu takes cold air on the bottom of the case

the entire case now works colder, cooler

the change you describe has no sense, the later gpu uses less watts so should put less stress over the psu, less load

to me sounds like your no name no brand no idea of quality psu is saying good bye

i would recommend you to buy new case that has the psu on the bottom and a new psu with a big 120mm on the bottom, not a small fan on the back

Solution