Question PSU Power cable came off

Jul 19, 2021
this just happened to me. i was doing an idle desktop just gettin ready to shut down when suddenly the pc screen goes black. pc reboots after this cleanly only now it's using internal graphics. restart again hopin for something just to realize gpu led is off and that's odd. i then notice the psu cables came off their socket in the gpu. whatever this means... since it's a gtx 970 i say sure just gotta plug em back in. but still no led no display no nothing . so i try another gpu that dont need psu cables and sure enough. the pci slot still working no problem. surely i just didn't kill a brand new gpu during covid prices did i

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

test it in a differnt pc to make sure it's good or bad. if it died you should be able to get it RMAed

Jul 19, 2021
i meant a brand new recently accquired, used gpu, lol. Anyway i did try another gpu so it doesn't seem like a psu problem or a pcie socket thing either. Fr tho what are the odds of the thing dying just by this happening

AB2647

Prominent
Jul 12, 2021
i meant a brand new recently accquired, used gpu, lol. Anyway i did try another gpu so it doesn't seem like a psu problem or a pcie socket thing either. Fr tho what are the odds of the thing dying just by this happening

There might be a problem with your PCIe cables, or even PCIe pins on the card. You'll never know.

AB2647

Prominent
Jul 12, 2021
Is this the most probable outcome after what happened? Sounds like a reasonably not so complex repair

If your card has PCIe power LEDs, try to put it in without any cables attached to it. It should turn on, but not give you any output (doesn't damage the card)
If nothing happened, then you have my deepest sympathy, which I hope is not the case.

Jul 19, 2021
If your card has PCIe power LEDs, try to put it in without any cables attached to it. It should turn on, but not give you any output (doesn't damage the card)
If nothing happened, then you have my deepest sympathy, which I hope is not the case.
Deep sympathy doesn't sound like a bad idea. Still, i already tried what you said, and no leds no nothing. I'm just hoping out it's something simple like the pci pins shorting out. Or what does it sound like for the gpu?