Question Psu power cycling - mobo toast?

Oct 25, 2019
I just picked up some solid state drives to add extra space to my gigabyte h87n based box. It's been working fine for years. Two are standard sata cable linked drives, the other is an nvme I put in the pci slot via a riser card. Tried powering it up, nothing other than a flashing power led. I've tried probing the external power brick, checks out okay. I tried testing the 12v line from the picopsu itself and its power cycling, voltage goes up then shuts down, then back up, shuts down. I've now taken the entire thing apart, removed everything (including the onboard wifi module and cpu), tried again, same thing. I've also tried powering it up with an entirely separate power supply and get the same result, suggesting it's a mobo problem. I've tried pulling the cmos battery and it reads 3.2v (its marked 3v nominal so should be fine) checked inside the hdmi, usb and ethernet ports, can't see anything wrong. There's literally nothing plugged into it but its power cycling both psus I've tried. So... it looks like somethings wrong with the board / mobo chipset. I'm currently scouring over it and am going to start probing some areas of the board. If it's a blown cap, I have some spare and could potentially save it. But I'm running low on solutions other than just buying a new mobo. I was wondering if anyone might have any pointers as to where to double check. Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019
I'm reading sub ohm values with the meters gnd on the USB gnd shield when touching most positive supply rail pins on the atx connector - the 3.3, 5 and 12v rails. For all three to be reading shorts that seems to indicate, if there is a short somewhere, it must be bridging all three at some common point. Still unable to find signs of damage though. It also doesn't have the characteristic magic smoke smell to it.