[SOLVED] PSU power holding capacity related (URGENT)

YuvrajMann

Reputable
Dec 28, 2016
due to extreme heat in my region, random power cuts of 1 min seem to be increased by a lot especially at night when I'm gaming the most. it seemed as if the ups/inverter wasn't strong enough to handle the load only 650w output, i decided to buy the latest ups/inverter with 900w output connected with a 150ah battery, it's rated <15ms transfer mains to ups when the light goes out(as mentioned on their website), unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working and i still end up getting a pc restart. (pc does no restarts on the ideal)

i started researching in the hope to find a solution and realized my PSU(Antec neo eco 550w) has about 12ms hold time and 17ms is the minimum requirement to stop the system from restarting.

after enlightenment myself with this research, i search Amazon for solid PSU's available atm, unluckily it seemed like Amazon in my region has PSU shortage, but i managed to get one xpg core reactor 750w which has an 18ms hold.

my question is if xpg core reactor 750w with 18ms hold capacity can stop my pc from rebooting while gaming? or if there's any possible way to stop rebooting from random power cuts.

note:
  1. I don't get pc reboots when pc isn't underload only when gaming.
  2. xpg core reactor 750w was the best psu i could find within my budget.
  3. specs: i5 8400, auros 2070s, 2666mhz ram.

Last edited:
Solution
12ms hold up time is quite low, industry standart is 15ms and ATX specification has 17ms as a minimum
its measured when voltage drops to 90% (from 12v to ~11v), ATX has +-5% voltage tollerances, thats why you need more than 15ms to not fall below operating voltages and UPS can kick in without issues

hold up time on PSU is based on capacitor used and power load (higher power load = faster it drains)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xpg-core-reactor-750-w/8.html
here is reviewed that XPG psu u want to buy, it meets ATX specs just fine
12ms hold up time is quite low, industry standart is 15ms and ATX specification has 17ms as a minimum
its measured when voltage drops to 90% (from 12v to ~11v), ATX has +-5% voltage tollerances, thats why you need more than 15ms to not fall below operating voltages and UPS can kick in without issues

hold up time on PSU is based on capacitor used and power load (higher power load = faster it drains)

Reactions: YuvrajMann
Solution

YuvrajMann

Reputable
Dec 28, 2016

so in short can i avoid random pc restart while gaming/under load with xpg core reactor 750w? because I'm still unclear about how capacitors work and if they have that kind of power under load/gaming to avoid random restarts.