Question PSU Question

May 31, 2021
I have a Dell G5 with a 500W 80 Plus Platinum PSU. I have one GTX 1660 Super. I'd like to add another one.

Will my PSU support two GTX 1660 Supers?

May 26, 2021
I have a Dell G5 with a 500W 80 Plus Platinum PSU. I have one GTX 1660 Super. I'd like to add another one.

Will my PSU support two GTX 1660 Supers?

That GPU supposedly uses about 120 watts of power, assuming stock configuration.

You should be able to run another one.

I assume your PSU has a spare connector to power the second GPU you plan on adding?

Reactions: Allowishes
May 31, 2021
Thank you SO much for your quick reply. It is a stock config. Yes there is a spare connector from the PSU, but I also need to power the riser board. I'm assuming I can just get a splitter to power both. Is that correct?

May 26, 2021
Thank you SO much for your quick reply. It is a stock config. Yes there is a spare connector from the PSU, but I also need to power the riser board. I'm assuming I can just get a splitter to power both. Is that correct?

Possibly, I don't use riser cards, most of them allow you to power it via Molex or USB, if you get a riser card that has the 6 or 8 pin female plug, then a splitter should work provided the additional power of both the riser card AND the additional GPU doesn't take your system over the 500 Watt capability of the PSU.

Reactions: Allowishes
May 26, 2021
Why are you running 2 gpus?

I think the plan is he WANTS to run 2. He doesn't currently have the second one.

I've always thought it's a better upgrade to go from a lesser card, to a better one, than it is to have two cards the same, because it's not as simple as saying the "performance is twice as much" with two cards, i've heard two cards apparently only gives a rough graphics performance increase of around 40-50%. So it's not really worth doing most of the time.