[SOLVED] Psu rattling noise, do i need to replace it?

VladEusebiu

Honorable
Oct 31, 2014
My psu started making a rattling noise all of a sudden
I've used it for like a year, it's it broken?
I don't get any crashes or bluescreens
I've checked every fan in the computer, and it's not even the fan from the back of the computer that comes from the psu, the noise is inside the psu.
it's something to worry and it needs a replacement, or it's fine?

Reactions: ciro_881
Solution
I've checked every fan in the computer, and it's not even the fan from the back of the computer that comes from the psu, the noise is inside the psu.
Since the only moving part inside the PSU is the fan that's really the only likely thing to be making a rattling noise. A cheap sleeve bearing fan can fail at any time...I just returned a brand new PSU with one that was already starting to rattle after only 40 hours or so heavy use. Needless to say, I picked a unit with a hydro-bearing fan to replace it.

You don't need to...
I had a similar problem once. Turns out the fan sat really uncomfortably close to the fan guard and ANY pressure on it would cause the metal fan guard to chip the end of the fan. Lifted the psu out of the case and the noise went away.

If something similar happens to you try putting some padding in the corners of the psu itself (like velcro pads) or spacer washers for the fan.

Reactions: VladEusebiu
Since the only moving part inside the PSU is the fan that's really the only likely thing to be making a rattling noise. A cheap sleeve bearing fan can fail at any time...I just returned a brand new PSU with one that was already starting to rattle after only 40 hours or so heavy use. Needless to say, I picked a unit with a hydro-bearing fan to replace it.

You don't need to worry until the fan stops altogether....or it gets so loud it drives you batty. Since yours isn't brand new, replacing the fan is an option that's actually a good choice because you can upgrade the fan to a ball-bearing or hydro bearing while keeping the now burned-in rest of it. But only if you're techie enough to DIY the job, otherwise taking it to a computer shop will be more expensive than a brand new PSU. You're next choice will be RMA'g it if in warranty...and a year later another rattling fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: VladEusebiu
Solution
That's really bad advice for 99% of the users here.
Why? You'd throw out the rest of it just because? After a year of use, it's burned in and well into the bathtub with a couple years more at least. I'd totally replace the fan and use it up.

And do keep in mind the 'if you're techie enough' disclaimer, that's what weeds out that 99% of users you might be fretting over. And that occasional user on the path of becoming techie, well, we all have to learn don't we.

VladEusebiu

Honorable
Oct 31, 2014
It's an 80 plus bronze, but today i went little closer and listened more, it's actually the gpu fan thats making the noise, but that aint a problem since i ordered a new one 3 days ago literally i wanted to upgrade since i had a 1050ti. So seems like the PSU fain is cool, i went and cleaned the PSU off dust, and seems like the GPU fan was the problem.. But i gotta thank everyone who answered to my post and tried to help me,

You don't need to worry until the fan stops altogether....or it gets so loud it drives you batty. Since yours isn't brand new, replacing the fan is an option that's actually a good choice because you can upgrade the fan to a ball-bearing or hydro bearing while keeping the now burned-in rest of it. But only if you're techie enough to DIY the job, otherwise taking it to a computer shop will be more expensive than a brand new PSU. You're next choice will be RMA'g it if in warranty...and a year later another rattling fan.
What exactly is this PSU? It'd be good to know if the PSU's even worth repairing before deciding if installing a new fan is actually a good idea.

That's really bad advice for 99% of the users here.
+1

I agree. You could get a fan header that is "non-sympatico" (Not wired the same as the oem fan). Also, fan cooling curves are calibrated to the fan that's installed. Putting in a lower RPM fan or quieter fan may result in lower flow rate or pressure. I would replace with a similar fan only unless you have the fan curves that match and can tell which is positive and which is negative on the lead, and voltages/currents match

Plus there's always a risk of electric shock if you don't drain the caps first. (Power on - go into bios - pull plug while inside bios)

Why? You'd throw out the rest of it just because? After a year of use, it's burned in and well into the bathtub with a couple years more at least. I'd totally replace the fan and use it up.

And do keep in mind the 'if you're techie enough' disclaimer, that's what weeds out that 99% of users you might be fretting over. And that occasional user on the path of becoming techie, well, we all have to learn don't we.

If it's REALLY a year old, it would be under warranty.

Why void that warranty by replacing the fan when you can get a new PSU?

Also: No two fans are created the same. You can't expect the same static pressure at the same RPMs as the fan the designers of the PSU originally intended unless you use the exact same fan.

And that's not even mentioning the "not good if you're a noob" typical responses of "you'll kill yourself with the bulk caps" or "you'll fry it because an off the shelf fan isn't going to plug directly into the PSU's fan controller (they never use the standard 3-pin or 4-pin DC or PWM fan header connection).

THAT is why it's bad advice.

Yes... it can be a learning experience. 20 years ago when I didn't know better, I replaced the fan in a brand new PSU because it was too loud. The PSU kept overheating and OTP was shutting it down. Good thing I've learned a lot since then.

If it's REALLY a year old, it would be under warranty.

Why void that warranty by replacing the fan when you can get a new PSU?
Did you even read what I wrote? I completely informed him to remember his warranty.

Are you aware of the bathtub curve? After a year of use the ELECTRONICS portion of the PSU is proven, into the bottom of the curve and highly likely to be looking at a long life of reliable operation ahead of it, barring external problems like power surges. It's well worth saving if possible especially if you're the only owner and know how it's been used to that point. The fan, however, is trash and always was trash if a sleeve bearing unit; send this thing back on an RMA and all they do is put another garbage fan inside, unlike the quality ball bearing fan I'd pick but also quite possibly with shoddy workmanship. Or send back another PSU with the same garbage fan, but now has to prove it's reliability (burn-in to the bottom of the curve) under the original warranty period that's now shorter.

No, I'd totally choose to replace the fan, but I'm techie enough to open up a PSU and do that work. I'd only return it under warranty for more serious failure, or if still in the exchange period at the retailer.

And I think you give them way too much credit for 'designing' the PSU to operate with a fan of 'specific static pressure'. No, they just use what's cheap and moves enough air to 'do the job' even if barely enough. And they fully expect it to operate at a fraction of the original airflow after a short while as...yep, it's cheap and won't stay spinning for the life of the rest of the PSU it was put into. The range for success (if you can call it that) is immensely wide. It's fairly easy to pick out a static pressure fan that will work and is more likely to move even more air. And being a high(er) quality ball bearing or hydro bearing unit it's going to be the last fan I put in it all the while moving even more air than the original most likely would have.

I do get miffed at the elitist attitude that all readers of these forums are incapable of getting into the guts of doing work like changing the fan in a PSU. It's a little more involved than changing a case fan, and has some safety issues to consider, but not at all impossible. If offering it as an option upsets you, just look away. But the better thing is to offer your ADVICE on doing that job SUCCESSFULLY so that all would benefit and at the same time raising the level of discussion.

Last edited:

VladEusebiu

Honorable
Oct 31, 2014
UPDATE: i decided to buy a new unit, i bought the TX550 from Corsair, the noise is gone, and i can tell i had a bad unit, since all my temps gone down by like 10 degress!! After some documentation i realised my psu was a really bad quality... So the update did a lot for me!