Question PSU rattling noise

Apr 25, 2024
my psu has recently began rattling, it is from a new prebuilt pc from like 2 months ago. i just wanted to know if it is dangerous or not
for added context, i cleaned the psu cover and it was pretty dusty, the noise did get more silent but its still there nevertheless, i only cleaned the cover and blew some air into the psu and i didnt open it. is the dust causing the noise?
the model is seasonic s12iii 550w, 80+ bronze

Hey there,

It's likely of the fan blades is misaligned or a bearing has come loose, but I'd expect a grinding noise rather than a rattle.

Are you sure the PSU is correctly installed in the case? You may have to check that. Are you confident to open the PC case and take a look?

If not a local repair store might be able to diagnose.

Apr 25, 2024
Hey there,

It's likely of the fan blades is misaligned or a bearing has come loose, but I'd expect a grinding noise rather than a rattle.

Are you sure the PSU is correctly installed in the case? You may have to check that. Are you confident to open the PC case and take a look?

If not a local repair store might be able to diagnose.
i see, are those dangerous? my warranty is still valid but the place is not near by any means, i dont really mind it if it isnt dangerous
i am somewhat confident in opening my pc, however the motherboard section and the psu section is separated by something and i dont have the tools to open it.
this is a drive link to the noises, im pretty sure these are rattling noises. the first one is before i cleaned the dust and the 2nd one is after.
thanks

i see, are those dangerous? my warranty is still valid but the place is not near by any means, i dont really mind it if it isnt dangerous
Dangerous, no, not really. Just a nuisance to have to listen to it. With that said, if it is a fan blade issue or the bearing, then it may just get worse and not work again. Check the PSU is snug and not moving. If it moves or even has a little bit if give, then this could cause the issue. If not, and it's the fan blade, or bearing, RMA it.
i am somewhat confident in opening my pc, however the motherboard section and the psu section is separated by something and i dont have the tools to open it.
Once you get the case open, you should be able to determine if the PSU itself is loose, and causing the rattling. If not loose then it's internal, and should be RMA'd

Apr 25, 2024
Dangerous, no, not really. Just a nuisance to have to listen to it. With that said, if it is a fan blade issue or the bearing, then it may just get worse and not work again. Check the PSU is snug and not moving. If it moves or even has a little bit if give, then this could cause the issue. If not, and it's the fan blade, or bearing, RMA it.

Once you get the case open, you should be able to determine if the PSU itself is loose, and causing the rattling. If not loose then it's internal, and should be RMA'd
oh yea there were some screws i didnt see before, the psu is perfectly placed and isnt moving. alright ill rma it and ill post any future updates here. big thanks for the help

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

TRENDING THREADS