Question PSU recommendation narrowed down

Jan 21, 2023
Hello, I am looking to build a r7 7700x system with a 1080ti from my last system, for now, but I want some room for expansion, ive got most components picked out but am struggling to make a decision on the power supply. I've been looking at the corsair rm850 gold (2021) and the super flower leadex v gold pro 850 both are about $125 right now though i am hearing mixed things. Ive read multiple threads about some grievances with the super flower leadex V, something about its rating being deceptive though most reviews are on the 1000w platinum i am seeing reports its actual range is closer to 850-750w which does not bode well for their 850-watt gold, I am also hearing they cheaped out and used 20awg wire. The corsair seems to be fairly positive it is in the top of the cultist tier list though im seeing it missing in other forums replaced with the rmx and the toms hardware review for this PSU was similar to the super flower leadex.

I am leaning towards the corsair just heard about super flower's pedigree when they worked with EVGA and need that extra kick in the right direction

I apologize for the grammar and punctuation just wanted to let it spill out.

CWT made gold units are a safe bet (generally speaking)
super flower is not as good as it used to be 8-10 years ago
(they can still make high end quality units , they just kinda dropped the ball in the mid range cathegory same as evga) .
i suggest either RM850x (2021) or MSI A850GF - they both have louder fans than RMx(2018) used to have , but only under high load .
your system will draw around 450w during gaming so it will just be 50-60% load for your power supply and fan is reasonably silent under low-mid loads on both these units .

Last edited:
Reactions: Unolocogringo
Jan 21, 2023
CWT made gold units are a safe bet (generally speaking)
super flower is not as good as it used to be 8-10 years ago
(they can still make high end quality units , they just kinda dropped the ball in the mid range cathegory same as evga) .
i suggest either RM850x (2021) or MSI A850GF - they both have louder fans than RMx(2018) used to have , but only under high load .
your system will draw around 450w during gaming so it will just be 50-60% load for your power supply and fan is reasonably silent under low-mid loads on both these units .

I appreciate your response, fan noise is not really something I'm worried about as I only use a headset and louder noise makers will be in my room. Do you know the difference between the the rm and rmx series on Corsair? I was able to get the white rm850 (2021 I believe) on Corsair website for 115 before taxes with a honey 10 back deal. The rmx and msi seem to be going for 140 right now. I'm trying to budget as much as possible to be able to put more aside for gpu upgrade down the line, but of course don't want to regret the 25$ difference if the rmx or msi is a good deal better.

Jan 21, 2023
Perfect thank you. I just ordered the rmx 850 I got the black one I wanted originally and even still got the $10 honey back after reading the product page for a bit. This made it not much more over the RM. It seems honey will give an incentive to buy most products direct from Corsair if you hangout on its page for a few moments as I was getting offers for 10$ back on cases and other psus I was browsing. Maybe something to check out if you yourself are going to buy direct from them.

Again thanks for the responses. Considering I have a CX in my older system that's been running great for years I probably shouldn't have overcomplicated it as much as I did.