[SOLVED] PSU Replacement or service??

bub sweetham

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
A bit of a RANT, as well as a question.

Last November 2021, my wife bought me a "CyberPowerPC Gamer Supreme Gaming PC (Intel Core i7-11700KF/1TB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3070/Windows 11)", along with a "Get 2 Years of Geek Squad Protection coverage for parts, labour, and accessories for CyberPowerPC Gamer Supreme Gaming PC" for Christmas from BestBuy. All went well until July of 2022 when a noise developed, I investigated and it comes from the fan on the PSU.

I went back to the local BestBuy store, with the PC and thought I would have them fix it as I had a 2 year warranty. How wrong could I have been! The Tech informed me that the manufacturers warranty was for one year and that they could do nothing until that year expired. I asked them if my 2 year Geek Squad would start then and was informed No, it started when the device was purchased. So, I have 2 year coverage that I cannot use because the manufacture says they can't touch it. They said to contact CyberPower.

I contacted the CyberPower support line and had a CHAT with the Tech. He first had me explain the problem and send the serial number and whatnot at the start. Not that unusual. I explained the situation and even had a Video of the sound. I explained that I had retired after 25 years of Network engineering. PC's from the start.

He agreed with me that the PSU was the problem and that the fan is starting to go. Now the interesting part.

I was to either send in the whole PC to California for repair, or I could remove the PSU and just ship that and take my chances that it is the problem. (Of note, I took the PSU out of the PC and turned it upside down and the noise stopped so that is the problem).

The tech gave me a RMA, but, I must pack it securely, "DO NOT USE peanuts or packing material that can shift or settle during transit ". Take out insurance, in case it gets lost, Pay to ship it, and pay for "Canada Customers: Please note that CyberPowerPC is not responsible for any custom/duty or any related fees. " It will take 1 - 3 weeks to process the PSU once they receive it.

All this with a 1 year Manufacturers warranty and a 2 year Geek Squad parts and labour coverage!
RANT OVER

Seeing as a PSU cost under $200, do you think it's worth it just to, either buy a new fan and change it myself, (voiding the Warranty as if it means anything), just buy a new PSU, or spend the money and time and ship it to have it fixed?

Also, should I press Geek Squad to refund at least 1/2 the cost of the Protection plan as they won't do anything for the first year.

For some, let this be a lesson when dealing with these large corporations!!!

Solution
any recommendations???

Anything in Tier A (it's a 3070 or higher) would be suitable. I'd get at least 750W just to be safe.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just replace the PSU yourself. I wouldn't place much value in CyberPower's warranty because then CyberPower would be the one servicing it. It would be like getting your car insured with a policy sold by a 10-year-old. And if you didn't specify a quality PSU in your build, you likely got one of CyberPower's standard low-quality options, which means that the PSU probably isn't even worth the time spent to think about replacing the fan, let alone actually replacing the fan.

I see no reason for rant. It is pretty much typical situation if you buy electronics from abroad. Here in Europe you can at least ditch all the costs on the shop you bought the item from (as the shops are obliged to proceed the warranty), at the tradeoff that it will take even longer to process it (like I would be fully expecting to take it 2-3 months).
Now, for the options it is really hard which is better. They are all viable (the change fan option only if you have experience) and which is better could only be determined by you.

bub sweetham

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
Just replace the PSU yourself. I wouldn't place much value in CyberPower's warranty because then CyberPower would be the one servicing it. It would be like getting your car insured with a policy sold by a 10-year-old. And if you didn't specify a quality PSU in your build, you likely got one of CyberPower's standard low-quality options, which means that the PSU probably isn't even worth the time spent to think about replacing the fan, let alone actually replacing the fan.
any recommendations???

USAFRet

Titan
I see no reason for rant. It is pretty much typical situation if you buy electronics from abroad. Here in Europe you can at least ditch all the costs on the shop you bought the item from (as the shops are obliged to proceed the warranty), at the tradeoff that it will take even longer to process it (like I would be fully expecting to take it 2-3 months).
Now, for the options it is really hard which is better. They are all viable (the change fan option only if you have experience) and which is better could only be determined by you.
The problem here is CyberPowerPC in general. And its sister, iBuyPower.
They are well know for being crap.
Skimping on the parts no one notices.

"RGB Liquid Cooling!!!" == a crappy 120mm liquid thing that is no better, possibly worse, than most air coolers.

"700W PSU!" - Something you wouldn't use as a boat anchor.

But to the uninitiated, it sure sounds good.

Combine that with the 1 year warranty (you pay shipping both ways)....and that equals crap.

The store was not necessarily the problem. A Lenovo/Acer/HP bought from BestBuy....no problem.
(although BestBuy and its GeekSquad do suck...;) )

Reactions: bub sweetham

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
any recommendations???

Anything in Tier A (it's a 3070 or higher) would be suitable. I'd get at least 750W just to be safe.

Reactions: bub sweetham
Solution