Question Psu shorted the outlets in my room

Dec 25, 2020
I just got a few new parts for my pc, and I decided to put them together and wait for the rest of the parts to come in. I wanted to do a bios update using qflash with a b550 board (b550m aorus pro) to be specific. I screwed the motherboard into the case, put all of the power connectors and front panel connectors on, but when I plugged the power supply into my wall, it shorted all the outlets in my room. Please respond if you know how to fix this(the psu was an evga b5 850w psu)

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
fix the sockets or the PC? if the sockets in the house arent working you blew out a common point for that wiring loop, usually you have clusters wired back to a main breaker box, this all depends on your country and codes but it could be a fuse wire or a switch to flip, as for the PC there could be no end to the internal damage the main thing being your saving grace would be if your pc has surge protection, it may have taken the killshot, if not :/

I just got a few new parts for my pc, and I decided to put them together and wait for the rest of the parts to come in. I wanted to do a bios update using qflash with a b550 board (b550m aorus pro) to be specific. I screwed the motherboard into the case, put all of the power connectors and front panel connectors on, but when I plugged the power supply into my wall, it shorted all the outlets in my room. Please respond if you know how to fix this(the psu was an evga b5 850w psu)

It shorted? You mean it tripped. And what happens if you turn the breaker back on?

Could just be the inrush current to charge the drained bulk cap(s) was too much for your breaker to take.

Reactions: aldan
Dec 25, 2020
fix the sockets or the PC? if the sockets in the house arent working you blew out a common point for that wiring loop, usually you have clusters wired back to a main breaker box, this all depends on your country and codes but it could be a fuse wire or a switch to flip, as for the PC there could be no end to the internal damage the main thing being your saving grace would be if your pc has surge protection, it may have taken the killshot, if not :/
I did have the power supply plugged into a surge bar when I did. It tried it without the surge bar without it plugged into the other components.

Dec 25, 2020
Make sure the components in the case are mounted and grounded properly. Nothing should be touching metal that isn't meant to - are the standoffs for the motherboard present and in the proper locations?
I don’t know. I do know the only thing currently touching the motherboard are the standoffs. I tried the same thing without the motherboard plugged in and just the psu into the wall, and the same thing happened.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
that aint a good sign, sounds like its a bad PSU to me, assuming your leads are good, nothing in any of the terminal blocks that shouldnt be there, id return it, not worth playing with that high voltages , is there an isolator on the PSU, like an on off switch on it? if that thing was off and the thing still tripped its faulty inside, a surge bar should stop it tripping things, and a switch on the socket helps too rather than the pins arcing as you plug things in if you get me. i dunno what country you are in so im spitballing at ya, sorry

"Could just be the inrush current to charge the drained bulk cap(s) was too much for your breaker to take. " would be my initial thought too, you generally have it plugged in first then flip the switch to make it live or that initial current surges and sparks on the terminal and pop, off goes your breaker, its always best to have it set so you have a switch on your socket, or the back of the pc. but if you say it was on a surge protected strip then its unlikely, or a real bad protector

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020
It shorted? You mean it tripped. And what happens if you turn the breaker back on?

Could just be the inrush current to charge the drained bulk cap(s) was too much for your breaker to take.
I turned the breaker back on and the same thing happened. Three times. it was in a power bar that was surge protected for the first two, and connected, but then i disconnected from the parts, and tested, and the same thing happened all 3 times.

Dec 25, 2020
that aint a good sign, sounds like its a bad PSU to me, assuming your leads are good, nothing in any of the terminal blocks that shouldnt be there, id return it, not worth playing with that high voltages , is there an isolator on the PSU, like an on off switch on it? if that thing was off and the thing still tripped its faulty inside, a surge bar should stop it tripping things, and a switch on the socket helps too rather than the pins arcing as you plug things in if you get me. i dunno what country you are in so im spitballing at ya, sorry

"Could just be the inrush current to charge the drained bulk cap(s) was too much for your breaker to take. " would be my initial thought too, you generally have it plugged in first then flip the switch to make it live or that initial current surges and sparks on the terminal and pop, off goes your breaker, its always best to have it set so you have a switch on your socket, or the back of the pc. but if you say it was on a surge protected strip then its unlikely, or a real bad protector
Is it possible that i could return any parts it killed?
If it killed them? and should i get a 750 or even 700w psu?
is an rtx 3070 5600 32gb of ddr4 3600 ram.

Dec 25, 2020

as soon as i plugged it into that, it shut off, as well as all the oultets in my room.
i unplugged everything in my room, then tried it, and the same thing happened.

Dec 25, 2020

the power switch was even off when it happened and im currently in canada.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
the power switch was even off when it happened and im currently in canada.

I would take that thing back, dont plug it in or touch it lol, if its tripped just from being plugged in and not turn on id suspect theres some major wiring issues inside the case, the number of capacitors n such if they grounded it to a neutral wire or some crazy thing you might just complete the circuit. pain in the ass with the holiday i know but best waiting in your living room than in a hospital bed or morgue

If I break the power supply due to electrical surge, will the warranty I got with it still be in effect

yeah i would think they would cover faults in the unit, its not like its ram that has been surged its the power supply itself, they have to cover it under general warranty, its not your fault its not right, dont open it up or break any warranty stickers, just return it as soon as you can, the power supply is the one thing you really need full confidence in, for the sake of the health of your pc and even the safety of your home, you dont want a fire end of the day

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020
I would take that thing back, dont plug it in or touch it lol, if its tripped just from being plugged in and not turn on id suspect theres some major wiring issues inside the case, the number of capacitors n such if they grounded it to a neutral wire or some crazy thing you might just complete the circuit. pain in the ass with the holiday i know but best waiting in your living room than in a hospital bed or morgue

yeah i would think they would cover faults in the unit, its not like its ram that has been surged its the power supply itself, they have to cover it under general warranty, its not your fault its not right, dont open it up or break any warranty stickers, just return it as soon as you can, the power supply is the one thing you really need full confidence in, for the sake of the health of your pc and even the safety of your home, you dont want a fire end of the day
of course. Update. I have tried it again, and it seems that it only happens, when it is plugged into the motherboard. would you know why?

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
of course. Update. I have tried it again, and it seems that it only happens, when it is plugged into the motherboard. would you know why?
typically its a short circuit that causes your breakers to go, it can just be the load of the system, what rating is the switch you flip to turn things back on? do you have much in the room on at the same time, i mean if its a 15A ring main for instance and your pc takes you over that limit, even on the initial capacitor charge its gonna trip, but when you said it tripped when it wasnt switched on and disconnected from the pc i figured it might be bad wiring inside the PSU, if you are now saying its fine until it hits the motherboard then its a short somewhere most likely, check all the connector blocks for stray wires, make sure no strands are where they shouldnt be, id take things back, you using the motherboard standoffs n things in the case yeah? the motherboard should be risen a few mm off the back plate