Question Psu standoffs?

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
Hey i have a question here for u. I recently build my 1st pc...everything is working fine except one thing..i am experiencing power cuts. That means my pc sometimes randomly losing power and restarts itself. I am trying to find out where is the problem. Checked gpu, cpu, ram, storages and all these components are working fine even in loads. Temperatures are ok. So then i thought it can be psu. I have 750W evga B3 80 plus bronze psu. When i was buildinh my pc i remember something popped out from case or psu..idk from where. I let it be cause i think it isnt big deal and i didnt know what it is and where it belongs. So my question is, can those rubber bits be something like standoffs to prevent shorting against case? Do i need it? Later i can upload here pictures of these rubber bits.

Thanks

basically yes you do need standoff's on any PC build and yes they are important for electrical purposes. Take a photo would be helpful maybe one of machine as well. What I can suggest if i do not get back to you right away is there are plenty of you-tube videos

basically yes you do need standoff's on any PC build and yes they are important for electrical purposes. Take a photo would be helpful maybe one of machine as well. What I can suggest if i do not get back to you right away is there are plenty of you-tube videos

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
Your description sounds like rubber mounting pieces for fans.
Not likely to cause your problem.

Possibly you have wall power problems.
Is your wall outlet grounded?
Thanks for reply. To be honest i dont know. All i know is, from my wall socket i have small extender for 3 extra devices and there is my pc plugged

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
Thanks for reply. To be honest i dont know. All i know is, from my wall socket i have small extender for 3 extra devices and there is my pc plugged
Your description sounds like rubber mounting pieces for fans.
Not likely to cause your problem.

Possibly you have wall power problems.
Is your wall outlet grounded?
Can it be just bad psu or mobo problem? Like pc isnt losing power when i am using it for browsing...just when i attempt to launvh or play games but only at lets say 2 games from 10 or more....like i can play 8 games without problem and other 2 are causing my pc to restart...i checked event viewer or something like that in windows and its stated as kernel power 41 error

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
Hey i have a question here for u. I recently build my 1st pc...everything is working fine except one thing..i am experiencing power cuts. That means my pc sometimes randomly losing power and restarts itself. I am trying to find out where is the problem. Checked gpu, cpu, ram, storages and all these components are working fine even in loads. Temperatures are ok. So then i thought it can be psu. I have 750W evga B3 80 plus bronze psu. When i was buildinh my pc i remember something popped out from case or psu..idk from where. I let it be cause i think it isnt big deal and i didnt know what it is and where it belongs. So my question is, can those rubber bits be something like standoffs to prevent shorting against case? Do i need it? Later i can upload here pictures of these rubber bits.

Thanks

PSU's should NEVER short or have any similar reactions with external factors.

PSU's are grounded by default and have all the possible protections to prevent even simple things, like static discharges from happening. If it shorts, it's probably because of moisture or a metal/electrically conductive object or material that interferes with the circuit. If it's really a short, the short-circuit protection of the PSU should interfere and cut off the power, if the model is well-built for such scenarios.

So no, you don't need standoffs for a PSU to prevent shorting, since it's immune by default to such things. You might, however, according to how your post describes the situation, need to replace the psu.

Ask the seller what is wrong with it and describe everything as clear as you can, if you still have it in warranty. They might replace it.

Also, have you overclocked anything? I wouldn't recommend a bronze-rated PSU for overclocking.

palo112

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
PSU's should NEVER short or have any similar reactions with external factors.

PSU's are grounded by default and have all the possible protections to prevent even simple things, like static discharges from happening. If it shorts, it's probably because of moisture or a metal/electrically conductive object or material that interferes with the circuit. If it's really a short, the short-circuit protection of the PSU should interfere and cut off the power, if the model is well-built for such scenarios.

So no, you don't need standoffs for a PSU to prevent shorting, since it's immune by default to such things. You might, however, according to how your post describes the situation, need to replace the psu.

Ask the seller what is wrong with it and describe everything as clear as you can, if you still have it in warranty. They might replace it.

Also, have you overclocked anything? I wouldn't recommend a bronze-rated PSU for overclocking.
Yeah i am thinking of buying new and better psu if it is problem there or not..no OC