Question PSU tester doesnt light up, PC works anyway

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
I got my hands on a generic PSU tester, which looks 1:1 like this one, in order to double check PSU (Be quiet! Dark Power 12 850W). Because my GPU died, I wanted to double-check it.
However, the display of the tester does not light on when I plug in the 24-pin cable, every other cable disconnected from the motherboard, only ATX 12V 2x2 and 2x4 are disconnected from the PSU (its not possible to reach that part of motherboard without disassembling CPU cooler). Nothing: no tester display, fans dont evenstart to spin. Triple-checked every switch and connection.
I have tried the very same with a different PC/PSU and the tester powers on just fine from 24-pin, and starts complaining that no other 12V cables are plugged in.
What conclusion(s) can I make from the results (tester not starting)? The PC runs fine (without the mentioned GPU).
Is there perhaps some other common protection, like the secondary ATX cables also have to have a pin shorted on some PSU? Can I test it in an alternative way except perhaps with the PC on and multimeter(which sounds scary to work on live PC)?