PSU tier list 2.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to agree with i7 on this one. I know it's a PITA to do, but considering the very high number of members and visitors that we get from India and that region who do in fact still have availability of many units that have been dead here for some time or that still use units that have been discontinued, it would be helpful to have them listed in the "please kill me if I ever have to use one of these" listings.

I've mentioned before in the past that a lot of the units that are "discontinued" on paper, are still being sold in large amounts in some markets. Just because they're not being made anymore doesn't mean that there isn't stockpiles of them. There are tons of the old version Ultra and TR2 units being sold by Newegg and Tiger in those markets along with a whole bunch of other shady models. Whether you have any inclination to include those or not is of course up to you but I have to agree that the list shouldn't be strictly for guiding those who are intending to make a purchase of a new unit, but also as a guide to the quality of what's already installed in order to help eliminate problems not related to inclusion of parts in new builds.

I've seen plenty of folks argue about this or that unit that's been in their rig for years, working just fine, but then they install newer, more demanding hardware, but refuse to accept that the unit is a POS because it's not listed as such. Perhaps one of us might need to create a list of otherwise retired or even just plain, "if it's on this list, it's crap" models.

I agree with the above.

Many people from India will just not buy a good PSU, simply because some brands (like iBall and Zebronics) are more heard-of here, than EVGA, Antec and so-on. Don't get me wrong, people aren't stupid, they just tend to believe in the product popular in their region, that's human nature. Some wise folks need to correct that mindset, though.

I like the 'crap PSU list' idea, just put all the absolute junks in it and link that to the main list, meaning if the PSU in question appears on that list, reserve it for your New Year fireworks.

bobybrown123

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
Maybe an extra tier? Like say tier 1A and tier 1B? Like say in tier one the AX1500i which is a extremely good PSU (probably the best PSU on the market) And then tier 1B With maybe the seasonic AX760 and AX860, which is slightly lower quality but still extremely good.

Dottorent just did away with the extra tiers. They were apparently confusing for some. I for one don't suggest going back to it. Given too many choices people will often just avoid making a choice based on actual criteria and go with a name they know, which as we all know often leads to a bad choice.

As far as calling anything "crap", that was just a metaphor. I wouldn't suggest actually calling anything crap, in any official capacity, ever. Maybe just "Not worth rating", "Paperweights" or " Units that stink up the room". Heh.

Don't forget Odyssey, that's also one of the premier el cheapo Indian PSU brands. Many others have also cropped up, Circle and LiveTech to name a few.

Anyone heard of the Seasonic ECO series? Seems similar to the Antec VP series, but I heard they're not available outside of India. Also heard they're 240V only, so it cuts down on the cost of making them.

dottorrent

Honorable

Serious overclocking as in -

SLi / Crossfire overclocking, high end CPU overclocking w/ extreme high end hardware + memory overclocking.

A decent overclock is fine for tier 3 units, but I would only suggest overclocking the CPU.

Personally, I would not ever make a recommendation to anybody that would infer they are ok to overclock or run gaming cards of any type that requires supplemental PCI power connections on a Tier 3 unit for the simple fact that the highest number of failures I see with those units listed on tier 3 are on systems where either of those configurations are present. But that's just me.

Honestly, if it were up to me, the units on that tier would specify "ok for mainstream units and not much else", so I guess it's a good thing it's not up to me, or I'd probably have reps from Corsair, Cooler Master and EVGA up in arms.

Yes, most reviews only look at features, temps, sound testing and efficiency.
Nothing more. Those are not good enough for a proper quality rating.

jnsamuel

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
It seems they've discontinued their PRO line too according to their website and they've changed the lines to XTS/XTR/TS, new versions released in January all based off of the X platform.

The newguy

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Why is seasonic word written after many psu models and why seasonic is mentioned twice tier one and two.
Anyways a very good list.

SeaSonic is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) of many PSU Models. That is, SeaSonic actually makes the unit, and other brands put their label on it. For eg, "Supernova GS 850 Seasonic" means the EVGA Supernova GS 850W model is made by SeaSonic.

Because not all models are the same. The rating isn't based on branding or manufacturer, its based on individual unit quality.

dottorrent

Honorable

It's who the OEM provided their platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.