[SOLVED] psu tier list kinda cinfusing (corsair cx from tier b to tier F) (urgent, must replace in 1-2 days)

Oct 24, 2015
So, Im following this list
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-21-legacy/
and I think I will change my corsair CX. It gets ultra hot and it is very noisy.
Right now I have this :

Corsair CX 450M (CP-9020101-EU)
I bought it thinking it was tier B but now I see it i probably tier D.
I can replace it within 2 more days, I checked the store's terms and conditions.

The tier list is confusing when it comes to corsair CX series, can someone tell me which ones of my choices are higher tier, and which you suggest I got?
Price is difinitely an issue.
The list says:
Tier B: Corsair - CX grey
Tier C: Corsair - 2017 "Grey unit" CXM***
Tier D:Corsair - Old CXM "Green unit" variants
Where does my PSU lie?

My choices are these:

Seasonic M12II-520 EVO Edition (SS-520GM2): 66e (tier D)
Corsair CX Series 550M (CP-9020102-EU): 67e (tier ???)
Corsair CX Series 650M (CP-9020103-EU):76e (tier ???)
Corsair TX-M Series TX650M (CP-9020132-EU): 89e (tier A, I think??)
Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Gold (SSR-550FX): 91e (tier A)
Corsair RMx Series RM650x (2018) (CP-9020178-EU): 98e (tier A or B- the list isn't clear)

All watt calculators say that my system is using 400w (but I ve been told they exaggerate).

Thanks a whole lot!

Last edited:
Solution
System recommendations say you need a 500w psu for that pc. There's only one caveat to that, there really are no good gaming built quality psus at 500w. None. Best bet minimum is 520-550w.

Bronze or any other voluntary certificate of efficiency has Zero bearing on the quality of the psu. The Seasonic M12-II series is a solid workhorse of a platform design that's been a staple of Seasonic for years with very few complaints. The new (grey/black/silver CXM) is a serious upgrade to the older colored block CX/M and for normal/light gaming usage is a decent psu all around.

General recommended psu size is taken by 50-70% loads. That keeps the psu on optimal efficiency for both outputs and thermal properties. So for a pc that's capable of...
In determining a PSU for your system you should list your system specs, what your intended usage is and if you intend to Overclock or expand the system in future. Both Seasonic Focus gold certified and Corsair RMx at 650W would be good choices if 650W is indeed required. They are both modular, of good quality and are efficient units.

Oct 24, 2015
In determining a PSU for your system you should list your system specs, what your intended usage is and if you intend to Overclock or expand the system in future. Both Seasonic Focus gold certified and Corsair RMx at 650W would be good choices if 650W is indeed required. They are both modular, of good quality and are efficient units.
Ryzen 1700 3.7ghz (will not OC, just its automatic turbo boost)
rx 570 8gb nitro+ 1340mhz (no OC)
ram 2x8gb ddr4 CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
(will probably OC the ram at some point to around 1.4v - may add another same kit too)
1 ssd, 1 hdd, 4x 120mm fans
msi with great VRM (msi mortar b450m)

its use is rendering, animation (blender, unity, a bit of premiere) and AAA gaming, avg. 6 hours a day

Either of those I remarked upon/recommended would be fine for your intended use.
If you feel you need 32GB of RAM then get a kit of 32GB now as adding an 8GB kit later you may have issues. 16GB is plenty enough for gaming AAA and 32GB if you intend editing large video or rendering 3D CAD files. Remember also that a kit at 3000Mhz will default to a lower frequency initially and will require Timings and Voltage to be manually adjusted in Bios. (no big deal)

Oct 24, 2015
Either of those I remarked upon/recommended would be fine for your intended use.
If you feel you need 32GB of RAM then get a kit of 32GB now as adding an 8GB kit later you may have issues. 16GB is plenty enough for gaming AAA and 32GB if you intend editing large video or rendering 3D CAD files. Remember also that a kit at 3000Mhz will default to a lower frequency initially and will require Timings and Voltage to be manually adjusted in Bios. (no big deal)
I meant I would add a 2x8gb same kit, not 1x8gb. Not sure if I'll need it tho, nor can I afford it right now, so 2x8gb is unfortunately not negotiable. Especially if the psu I'm getting is one of the 2 that you suggested.

Their price is double than my current Cx450m...

So you believe that the Seasonic m12ii and the Corsair cxm series are bad for my system /in general?

I never recommend bronze rated PSUs as they are entry level units and of questionable quality and efficiency. The PSU is the life blood of your system and not to be underestimated. Yes you do pay more for quality assurance and piece of mind.
I'm not saying bad for your system/in general and may last the warranty period but gold rated units will usually run cooler/quieter and last longer.
With today's turbo boost technology you need an efficient power draw from the PSU during transition periods from stock to Turbo frequency.
Read my PSU fact sheet.

Oct 24, 2015
I never recommend bronze rated PSUs as they are entry level units and of questionable quality and efficiency. The PSU is the life blood of your system and not to be underestimated. Yes you do pay more for quality assurance and piece of mind.
I'm not saying bad for your system/in general and may last the warranty period but gold rated units will usually run cooler/quieter and last longer.
With today's turbo boost technology you need an efficient power draw from the PSU during transition periods from stock to Turbo frequency.
I understand. Thank you a lot, that was some valuable piece of advice!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
System recommendations say you need a 500w psu for that pc. There's only one caveat to that, there really are no good gaming built quality psus at 500w. None. Best bet minimum is 520-550w.

Bronze or any other voluntary certificate of efficiency has Zero bearing on the quality of the psu. The Seasonic M12-II series is a solid workhorse of a platform design that's been a staple of Seasonic for years with very few complaints. The new (grey/black/silver CXM) is a serious upgrade to the older colored block CX/M and for normal/light gaming usage is a decent psu all around.

General recommended psu size is taken by 50-70% loads. That keeps the psu on optimal efficiency for both outputs and thermal properties. So for a pc that's capable of pulling extended periods of 400w torture with encoding, you'll get the best results in outputs and temps with a quality 650w psu regardless of what minimum recommended size is. Going larger than 650w wont see any benefits.

Out of your listed choices, the Corsair RMx 650w is the best by a long shot, but 2 equitable 650w psus are not listed, the Seasonic Focus and Focus Plus. Depending on price, either of those 3 will be more than good performance for that pc, no matter what you throw at it.

Reactions: stacielovesmalphite
Solution
Oct 24, 2015

General recommended psu size is taken by 50-70% loads. That keeps the psu on optimal efficiency for both outputs and thermal properties. So for a pc that's capable of pulling extended periods of 400w torture with encoding, you'll get the best results in outputs and temps with a quality 650w psu regardless of what minimum recommended size is. Going larger than 650w wont see any benefits.

Out of your listed choices, the Corsair RMx 650w is the best by a long shot, but 2 equitable 650w psus are not listed, the Seasonic Focus and Focus Plus. Depending on price, either of those 3 will be more than good performance for that pc, no matter what you throw at it.
Thank you for your time. So you don't look down on the cheaper solutions like the m12ii but, given the option, you'd rather go for a better line with more than 600w?

How do I determine the new corsair CXm model, grey /green units etc? Can you tell which category the 3 corsair cxm that I listed fall into?

Corsair CX 450M (CP-9020101-EU)
Corsair CX Series 550M (CP-9020102-EU)
Corsair CX Series 650M (CP-9020103-EU)
What about the TX650m?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
@stacielovesmalphite
No I don't look down on good psus, one of my pc's has been running flawlessly (i5-3570k at 4.3GHz OC and gtx660ti at 123% OC) for the last 6+ years on a Seasonic M12-II 520w, the predessor of the EVO. My other pc runs on an Evga G2 550w. Gotta understand that for many years, the S12-II/M12-II series was the psu to beat, literally a best in class psu. More recent developments in dc-dc switching have made group regulated designs less desirable, especially Intel Haswell or newer cpus as low power requirements (c-states at idle) don't work well with group regulated. This newer dc-dc design is better (mostly) but that doesn't automatically make the older design bad, just less efficient. The S12-II/M12-II have pretty mediocre outputs now in comparison so are great for more mild systems but that doesn't change the fact that they are built solid. They literally are workhorses, solid and dependable, just no longer a race horse.

Would I own another, Yep, in a heartbeat. They are built far better than many other psus, including a good chunk of Gold rated dc-dc designs that cost more and come with fancy rgb fans that sit on the bottom of the psu in New cases.

Oct 24, 2015
@stacielovesmalphite
No I don't look down on good psus, one of my pc's has been running flawlessly (i5-3570k at 4.3GHz OC and gtx660ti at 123% OC) for the last 6+ years on a Seasonic M12-II 520w, the predessor of the EVO. My other pc runs on an Evga G2 550w. Gotta understand that for many years, the S12-II/M12-II series was the psu to beat, literally a best in class psu. More recent developments in dc-dc switching have made group regulated designs less desirable, especially Intel Haswell or newer cpus as low power requirements (c-states at idle) don't work well with group regulated. This newer dc-dc design is better (mostly) but that doesn't automatically make the older design bad, just less efficient. The S12-II/M12-II have pretty mediocre outputs now in comparison so are great for more mild systems but that doesn't change the fact that they are built solid. They literally are workhorses, solid and dependable, just no longer a race horse.

Would I own another, Yep, in a heartbeat. They are built far better than many other psus, including a good chunk of Gold rated dc-dc designs that cost more and come with fancy rgb fans that sit on the bottom of the psu in New cases.
U r awesome :)