[SOLVED] PSU Upgrade Advice Needed

DarianDB

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Howdy,

I have recently been having heat problems with my pc when trying to run games like doom and Far Cry 5 at higher graphics levels. From what I can tell my hardware should be able to handle it but I have very little knoweldge in this regard. To that end I have talked to some friends who are more knowledgable and they have recommended I upgrade my PSU as it would be generating a lot of heat and in turn heating my components. My current hardware is:

Case: Thermaltake Versa H22
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x
Motherboard: Asus H170-Plus D3 ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3
Storage: Samsung 830 256 SSD
Hitachi 1.5TB 2.5" 5400RPM
Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: Radeon R9 390
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 600w
Case Fans: Two extra unknown size fans mounted

To this end I am asking y'all what the recommended PSU to upgrade to would be, my preference would be 750w minimum, non-modular, at least +80 Gold.

Much Appreciated

- Darian

Solution
I'd consider the following based on current prices:

650W
Power Supply:
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($149.00 @ Centre Com)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.00 @ JW Computers)
Total: $169.00

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.00 @ Umart)
Total: $179.00

750W
Power Supply:
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($174.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Total: $174.00

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I have recently been having heat problems
Well usually the things to look at first is CPU temperatures, GPU temperatures, Coolers, cleanliness of your components, and general air flow.

recommended I upgrade my PSU as it would be generating a lot of heat
Whilst PSUs can generate a lot of heat, I wouldn't immediately jump to PSU with a heat problem. Especially being as if it is indeed set up appropriately and working, most of the hot air will be exhausting straight out of the back of your case. But I'd certainly check all the others first.

What exact heat problems are you having?

Having said that, it's not a good PSU, so heat or not, I'd consider upgrading it. Especially if you've had it for some time.

my preference would be 750w minimum, non-modular, at least +80 Gold.
Why this exactly? Future upgrades? Your system can probably run on a good quality 550W.

you should not ask your friends for this kind of stuff ;)

in all seriousness: while this PSU is certainly not a good unit and there's an argument to be made to upgrade it, you're powering a 275W TDP GPU. the R9 390 is a freaking hot card. I'd do a thorough de-dusting of my whole build and reevaluate again. maybe repaste the GPU. I can hardly believe that the PSU is suddenly warming up your build more.

750W is furthermore overkill. this build will run on 550W just fine, 650W might not be a bad idea if you're planning to keep it for another 10 years. as for recommendations - it depends on your budget tbh

Reactions: PC Tailor

DarianDB

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Well usually the things to look at first is CPU temperatures, GPU temperatures, Coolers, cleanliness of your components, and general air flow.

Whilst PSUs can generate a lot of heat, I wouldn't immediately jump to PSU with a heat problem. Especially being as if it is indeed set up appropriately and working, most of the hot air will be exhausting straight out of the back of your case. But I'd certainly check all the others first.

What exact heat problems are you having?

Having said that, it's not a good PSU, so heat or not, I'd consider upgrading it. Especially if you've had it for some time.

Why this exactly? Future upgrades? Your system can probably run on a good quality 550W.
Components are clean, went through them not too long ago. CPU comfortably but my GPU usually sits at high 90s low 100s while its actual usage % is pretty standard.

The cooler is doing its job but as my GPU is right above my PSU and that's the main piece heating up I made the assumption is was heat rising from it into the GPU fans.

750 was due to a fair few sources saying a 650w is good to run the R9 390 comfortably and I play on doing some additions in the not too distant future so I may aswell splurge a little and get a 750w which will hopefully keep me sitting pretty for a few years to come.
Non modular is needed because my current PSU is non modular and I'd prefer not to have to go out and get a set of cables, also because cable management doesn't matter very much to me so I don't mind a few extra loose cables as long as I have what I need, of which I'm not too sure, hence my request for input on what I should upgrade to.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I may aswell splurge a little and get a 750w which will hopefully keep me sitting pretty for a few years to come.
Gotcha. Well a 650W will probably still keep you going for plenty of time, but if a 750W can be picked up then it's no harm.

I'd prefer not to have to go out and get a set of cables
You don't have to. Modular comes with the cables. Modular ones tend to be better quality to (not that modular means better quality, just you'll finder many modular ones are).

Modular is easier generally, because you can just leave out the cables you don't need. So if anything whether someone wants cable management or not, it just takes away the extra hassle of tucking away other cables.

GPU usually sits at high 90s low 100s
I'd be surprised if the PSU was creating that much heat to cause that, I agree with the other user than it's the card that runs hot, and a newer PSU will probably help, it might not be significantly.

Do you have a budget my friend?

DarianDB

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Gotcha. Well a 650W will probably still keep you going for plenty of time, but if a 750W can be picked up then it's no harm.

You don't have to. Modular comes with the cables. Modular ones tend to be better quality to (not that modular means better quality, just you'll finder many modular ones are).

Modular is easier generally, because you can just leave out the cables you don't need. So if anything whether someone wants cable management or not, it just takes away the extra hassle of tucking away other cables.

I'd be surprised if the PSU was creating that much heat to cause that, I agree with the other user than it's the card that runs hot, and a newer PSU will probably help, it might not be significantly.

Do you have a budget my friend?
I guess I'll see what the suggestions and availability are to decide on either 650-750. In that case modular does sound like the better choice here.

Either way with the heat I was planning on upgrading it, as you said earlier it is fairly old and iffy at this time and then I can see if it is the PSU and then proceed with figuring out how to reduce the heat after with no space for more fans aha.

My budget currently is probably around $150-$250 AUD

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

650W
Power Supply:
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($149.00 @ Centre Com)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.00 @ JW Computers)

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.00 @ Umart)

750W
Power Supply:
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($174.00 @ Skycomp Technology)

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($177.60 @ Device Deal)
Total: $177.60

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($212.00 @ I-Tech)
Total: $212.00

Solution

DarianDB

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020

650W
Power Supply:

750W
Power Supply:

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($177.60 @ Device Deal)
Total: $177.60

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($212.00 @ I-Tech)
Total: $212.00
Much Appreciated mate, I'll be going with the Corsair RM 750