PSU Upgrade in a Dell with aftermarket cable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
sr2002. That looks just like mine. I never thought anything off it and just connected it up.

I can't say if it's safe or not (maybe someone else can answer??) but can confirm it has worked in my system for a week or 2 and continues to. I only use it for 2-3 hours at a time though.

jimprall

Commendable
May 26, 2016

What did you do about the other power connector on the T1700 motherboard, with red, orange, yellow and black wires? That would be +12v, +5v, ground and something - similar to the selection on a SATA power connector, but it's a 2x4 pin black connector (and it's not the same as a PCI-6 or PCI-8 plug).

What the heck is that one anyway?Third party power supplies I've seen don't have one of those. Did you just leave that unpowered in your new config? Or did that require a second cable converter of a different type?

I'm speculating that might just be to provide aux power thru the motherboard to any peripherals that may happen to be wired up to be able to draw through that route (and none require it in a stock T1700, maybe?)

sr2002

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Apart from the that adapter for the Motherboard power, you should not need anything else. Just use your new power supply's Sata power connectors to power you peripherals directly from the PSU instead of the motherboard.