[SOLVED] PSU upgrade needed for new GPU - Advice would be great!!

Apr 27, 2015
Hi All,

I have just snagged a new Radeon 6700XT Phantom Gaming GPU. I game and do video editing (pretty basic video editing but likely to get more complex). I have been meaning to upgrade my PSU for a while but never got round to it - the new GPU has forced the issue though!

My current specs (with my old GPU):

Intel i5 8400 cpu - 2.8ghz
GTX 970 GPU
16GB Crucial RAM 2400hz
Corsair VS Series VS650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS PSU
Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent (ATX) Case

1440p LG monitor

I would like to get a PSU that I won't need to upgrade for a while. The 6700XT recommends a 700w PSU.

Any advice on where to start or recommended brands would be great!

Budget up to about £120- £150 ish...

Thanks!

Hi All,

I have just snagged a new Radeon 6700XT Phantom Gaming GPU. I game and do video editing (pretty basic video editing but likely to get more complex). I have been meaning to upgrade my PSU for a while but never got round to it - the new GPU has forced the issue though!

My current specs (with my old GPU):

Intel i5 8400 cpu - 2.8ghz
GTX 970 GPU
16GB Crucial RAM 2400hz
Corsair VS Series VS650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS PSU
Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent (ATX) Case

1440p LG monitor

I would like to get a PSU that I won't need to upgrade for a while. The 6700XT recommends a 700w PSU.

Any advice on where to start or recommended brands would be great!

Budget up to about £120- £150 ish...

Thanks!

I would suggest starting by reading through the Toms article on this... lots of decent options (especially with that kind of budget):
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

The Corsair RM series supplies are good units, for longevity get the highest rating you can get as power draw on GPU's is just going up (and these days you need quite a bit of headroom to accommodate momentary spikes in power draw). In the short term you might get away with your VS 650 with that 6700XT, however its likely it might not be stable under high load (so you may get crashes / random restarts).

Reactions: Jack the crackerman
Apr 27, 2015
I would suggest starting by reading through the Toms article on this... lots of decent options (especially with that kind of budget):
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

The Corsair RM series supplies are good units, for longevity get the highest rating you can get as power draw on GPU's is just going up (and these days you need quite a bit of headroom to accommodate momentary spikes in power draw). In the short term you might get away with your VS 650 with that 6700XT, however its likely it might not be stable under high load (so you may get crashes / random restarts).
Fantastic - I shall devour that article and thanks for the advice. I'll aim at a higher rating as you say to somewhat futureproof myself. Thanks you!

TRENDING THREADS