Question PSU + vcore voltage question

Digicats

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
I have my 8700k set to 4.5ghz at 1.26v with an LLC of 6 which overvolts underload, hits 1.28v normally

I turned the pc on this morning, played a quick 30 mins of rebel galaxy and then quit to do something, but I noticed that in between the time I launched the game and when I finished my vcore dropped to 1.248v. What would cause this? The game isn't that intensive so I'm just worried their might be something up with my PSU

I did a quick Cinebench R20 to see if it dropped under super heavy load but it was as usual 1.28v

full specs
Floe riing 240mm TT RGarbageB
maximus x formula
980sc (1080 ftw2 is being RMA'd)
tridentz 3000mhz 1.35v
evga 1000 GQ 80+ gold

Digicats

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Your CPU's voltages are regulated by regulators on the motherboard. Not voltages directly from your PSU.

Okay. Then the questions changes to why would the motherboard drop the vcore to 1.248v? I definitely should've added that recently my PSU +12v which used to sit at +12v now sits at 11.904v according to hwinfo. I know these readings can be inaccurate, the voltage on the MOBO read +12v +3v +5v, all normal. That's my main reason for asking, I thought it might translate to the vcore dropping.

Thank you for your reply.

Exactly. HWINFO is also getting that voltage from the board, so the PSU may not have a drop at all.

So the only thing you saw is a drop in voltage? You didn't see any kind of lag, drops in frames? Was there an increase in CPU temperature when this voltage drop occured?

Digicats

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Sometimes frames drop. I actually just RMAd my card because it started artifacting and missing textures, things like that. Only drops in frames today was due to the graphic settings, it wasn't stuttering or anything. The last card had huge frame drops regardless of the driver or the game. Also, with the last card, the screen would flick to black for like a nanosecond, that happened twice. Otherwise everything is smooth again with this 980 just at lower frames for obvious reasons.

The PSU sits steady at 11.904 max on the 12v When I upped the clock speed to x46 1.315v with LLC5 the vdroop would drop to 1.280. I'd see 11.808v on the 12v sometimes, but it's always steady. It used to be 12v with little to no deviation, that's what has me concerned. There's also this heat smell. Not burning, and there's no smoke, just a warm metal heat smell. I sniff around when it's under load and I don't smell anything. Just occasionally a whiff of it, especially when my AC kicks on. I thought it was that at first but I don't smell anything when the PC is off and the AC is on.

This might be TMI, I don't know.