[SOLVED] PSU Whine possibly?

Sep 11, 2020
Hi guys,

just bought this PC, is woud take it back but it’s a lengthy drive.

currently there’s a very loud 15mz mosquito type sound when fans run at low/medium as soon as I switch to high it turns off (and no it’s not the fans blasting over the sound) as soon as I go back down to medium or low it turns straight back on.

Does it all the time, when under stress and at idle. Even does it the second you turn it on (unless fans set at high)

here’s a video:
View: https://youtu.be/ARNrGVzBsoM

it’s so loud it literally gives you a headache and then you can hear the noise all day on your head lol.

I’m nearly certain the noise is coming from the PSU when isolating the noise.

other than that the computer runs great.

basics are:

I7 10700F
RTX 2080 Super
Cooler master 550W
Z490 Apro
Chione e2 120r liquid cooler

Hi guys,

just bought this PC, is woud take it back but it’s a lengthy drive.

currently there’s a very loud 15mz mosquito type sound when fans run at low/medium as soon as I switch to high it turns off (and no it’s not the fans blasting over the sound) as soon as I go back down to medium or low it turns straight back on.

Does it all the time, when under stress and at idle. Even does it the second you turn it on (unless fans set at high)

it’s so loud it literally gives you a headache and then you can hear the noise all day on your head lol.

I’m nearly certain the noise is coming from the PSU when isolating the noise.

other than that the computer runs great.

basics are:

I7 10700F
RTX 2080 Super
Cooler master 550W
Z490 Apro
Chione e2 120r liquid cooler

So, what is the exact model of the Cooler Master power supply?

Reactions: jonnyguru
MWE White 550w 80plus standard 230v.

does that help??

Well.. what it tells us is that it's a bottom of the line PSU.

So, the V2 uses a "burst mode" at low loads in order to maintain high efficiency at low loads. This, unfortunately, also produces a lot of noise.

Seriously, though....

An i7 10700F and a RTX 2080 Super? These are expensive parts. The builder shouldn't be grabbing the cheapest PSU possible to power it. What a shame.

Reactions: Archaic59
Sep 11, 2020
Well.. what it tells us is that it's a bottom of the line PSU.

So, the V2 uses a "burst mode" at low loads in order to maintain high efficiency at low loads. This, unfortunately, also produces a lot of noise.

Seriously, though....

An i7 10700F and a RTX 2080 Super? These are expensive parts. The builder shouldn't be grabbing the cheapest PSU possible to power it. What a shame.

Great thanks for the reply. What would be a PSU you would recommend? Obviously something cost efficient 🙂