Question PSU's CPU wire just got melted due to neglect -- should I replace the entire PSU or Can I buy a 6 to 8-pin connector to connect the 6-pin wire from P

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2022
My config is

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G

Motherboard: Asus Ex A320M gaming

Ram: Gskill Ripjaws 1 X 8GB

Graphics Card: Gtx 1050Ti - Zotac Mini

PSU: Ant Esports VS500L 500 Watt

PC case: Antec P7 Window

I dissembled all the parts for cleaning, I kept the PSU near a induction stove.
My sister, without seeing or taking notice of the PSU's 8-pin CPU wire which got stuck underneath the vessel and the induction stove, switched on the induction stove. When I sensed the smell of plastic burning and saw the smoke I realized the PSU's 8-pin CPU wire was stuck in between the vessel and the heating surface, now it is melted.
On closer inspection the Cooper wire inside was still intact, only the insulation got melted. So I wrapped it with insulation tape and assembled everything back.
When I switch on the main switch I can see the inbuilt RGB in the motherboard glows, which I take as PSU is functional and working only the 8-pin CPU wire got damaged. Although I didn't switch on the PC. since I am afraid that it might cause damage to the motherboard or CPU.
There is another 6 Pin Wire from PSU which is intact and did not suffer any damage.

Now should I replace the entire PSU or Can I buy a 6 to 8-pin connector to connect the 6-pin wire from PSU to the CPU (My CPU has an 8-pin socket)??

Now, the warranty is totally out of the question since the damage is a self-inflicted one due to sheer neglect.

Status
Not open for further replies.