PSU's power connector's orientation is rotated by 90 degrees relative to the power adapter cable of the Be Quiet Dark Base 900

Status
Not open for further replies.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I am installing the Corsair AX1600i into the Be Quiet Dark Base 900 case. The case came with a power adapter cable. According to the manual, I have to connect this adapter cable to the PSU. However, they are of different orientations. Could you please let me know what to do? Thanks

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks but I guess there is a misunderstanding. Please refer to the power connector at:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX1600i/

The three metal male connectors are oriented horizontally but the three female holes from the adapter cable which came with the case are oriented vertically (i.e. all three are rotated by 90 degrees). So, I cannot connect the two together.

bignastyid

Titan
The cases power connector is meant for an IEC C-13 connector(3 vertical flat pins) and your AX1600i has a C-19 connector(3 horizontal flat pins) both can work with 100-240v cables. C-13 is the most common(why the cases uses it), the C-19s are mainly used for 200V plus cables. You are either going to need a different PSU or a different case. What are you assembling that requires a 1600w PSU?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. I originally planned to build a 4-GPU system so I ordered a 1600w PSU while it was in back order. Then, due to some unexpected events, I changed priority. The 4-GPU system could be built later. So, I decided to build a 8700K system for temporary use. The 1600W is overkill for the current system but it is for future proof when I change the CPU and motherboard.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I bought it from Amazon which also shows the C-13 connector. Perhaps they sent me a wrong PSU? Very strange. The price has jumped up by about $250. What suggestion do you have in this stage?

The model number is the same: CP-9020087-NA but the connector pins are different as shown in the photos.

bignastyid

Titan

Yes, it is so you can use the power cable that came with the PSU. You could use one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Dshot-Female-Adapter-Power-Connector/dp/B00SPGUK6A/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526419438&sr=1-7&keywords=c19+to+c13
But you would also need a C13 cable to plug the PSU into the surge protector or ups as the cable that came with the PSU is likely C19.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. I don' know why Corsair changed the connector to one that is different from the photo. The one on my PSU is rectangular rather than trapezoid shape.

I am depressed. After spending 1.5 months days and nights reading reviews and asking many questions, I ended up like this.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I got a reply from Corsair. They did not explain why the real product is different from the one shown in the product website. Moreover, they just asked me to buy another cable! Not very helpful at all.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Hello, I am considering to buy the same PSU and Dark Base 900 rev 2. Do you think I will encounter the same problem again? I asked Corsair why they sent me the wrong unit but they had no idea. They just pointed the finger at the vendor.

lordraptor1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008

I would like to make a correction to your statement as I am running into the same issue as op albeit I have yet to get the case and am researching options before actually buying one.

with that having been said the problem is be quiet failed with this case using the switch arrangement on the back, sure it is fine for the majority of users with the C13 style plug but when you get into higher wattage psu's such as the 1500 wat and up which use a C19 style plug the factory case power cord setup becomes completely useless. I for one have a lepa G1600 psu and outside of modding the case in some way ( best would be replacing the c13 parts for c19 parts) high wattage PSU's will not work with the dark base 900 ( either revision) out of the box which in my mind is an epic fail as be quiet didn't think about enthusiast power users when they designed the case. you would think they would have had an option for c19 style plugs at least ( fyi C19 on the 1500 watt+ psu are 125v 15A as far as I can tell).

im still looking for a solution at present and will update if and when I find one.

lordraptor1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008

if the PSU uses a c19 plug yes, if you have a 1300 watt + psu that does NOT have a c19 plug I would return it, there is a reason lepa, enermax, and corsair used a c19 plug on these power supplies in the first place if they have been retooled to use a c13 plug I would wonder what they crippled in the unit to make it safe to use a c13 plug

JGFMK

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Hello, I am installing the Corsair AX1600i into the Be Quiet Dark Base 900 case. The case came with a power adapter cable. According to the manual, I have to connect this adapter cable to the PSU. However, they are of different orientations. Could you please let me know what to do? Thanks
I am doing the exact same thing some years later.
This is the solution I am going to try:
1) Swap to individually sleeved Corsair CPU cables for extra 10cm. I need 2 of these cables for my motherboard (MSI MEG X570 Unify).
You can find them on Amazon with an ASIN of B07L682RFB
Still going to be a tight fit I expect. I'll just wire up in PSU in sockets nearest rear, one on each row.
Corsair support was diabolical. They didn't even suggest this. I found it out myself!

2) Buy 4 90 degree adapters from Moddiy (type B) ATX-EPS-Motherboard-Angle-Connector-Adapter.
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Pre...-EPS-Motherboard-Angle-Connector-Adapter.html
From the chat I hadYou can daisy chain them together.
It would have been really nice if they had a 270 degree adapter and you would only need 2. But I am going to give this a shot.
They ship from Hong Kong. So for me I'm gonna Fedex Express them. I also bought a type B 24 pin too

Status
Not open for further replies.