Psystar Working on OS X Hackintosh Netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Well first of all I must admit to not being an Apple fan at all. I'm just a geeky Windows and Linux user and Apple doesn't really have producets that appeal to me.
That being said I think that the smaller screen notebooks Apple does have come close enough to a netbook. I'm also sure Apple will launch some sort of tablet or mobile touch screen something to cover the gap between the iPhone and the Macbooks. Which they will call a revolutionary thing as always, never done before and so on ...
You could also install OS X on a netbook if you really wanted to and I know it's being done. This mean there's nothing new in OS X running on a netbook. Still many people will find it more confortable if it's preinstalled, maybe comes with some form of support ....
Personally I'm more interested in the new arm netbooks and what will be running on them from the Linux camp ( Moblin , Ubuntu ) but that's just me.

DeadlyPredator

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Very good job Psystar... it's Apple who is violating anti-trust laws by forcing user to buy mac hardware which is more expensive to run OSX when it could run flawlessly on any x86 machine if there drivers avalaible and apple locks removed.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I think they will realize why they don't make a mac netbook when the OS is too bloated to run on netbook hardware.[/citation]
Guessing this is based on 100% facts. I mean who else would post and not know what they are talking about.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Oh and I think the last thing MS want to see if OS X running on all the PCs. Just remember MS wants Windows on as many PCs as possible. They like having Macs where they are now , expensive , niche products with a limited market share.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Agreed. Has anyone tried hacking OSX onto a Atom CPU? I bet it can't be done. And how will their fancy interface work with a crappy Intel GPU? I think in the end, everything that makes people wnat to use a mac will simply vanish when there's no hardware to support it, and people got upset when Microsoft released Vista with such high system specs.[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Guessing this is based on 100% facts. I mean who else would post and not know what they are talking about.[/citation]
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Agreed. Has anyone tried hacking OSX onto a Atom CPU? I bet it can't be done. And how will their fancy interface work with a crappy Intel GPU? I think in the end, everything that makes people wnat to use a mac will simply vanish when there's no hardware to support it, and people got upset when Microsoft released Vista with such high system specs.[/citation]
[/citation]

I know huh OS X on the atom thats rediculous... oh wait whats this?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-hackintosh-a-dell-mini-9-into-the-ultimate-os-x-netbook

oh and this?

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html

Hmmm...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom][/citation]I know huh OS X on the atom thats rediculous... oh wait whats this?http://i.gizmodo.com/5156903/how-t [...] -x-netbookoh and this? http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008 [...] patib.htmlHmmm...[/citation]
Color me impressed. But it sounds like it barely fit on his 16GB SSD (looking at the Dell mini).

Also, I guess I'm not really sure what people do with Macs, but it doesn't sound any more capable than a netbook running XP, and thus would suffer from all the same complaints that XP netbooks do. If all you do is IM or browse the web, does it really even matter if its running OSX, XP, or Linux? My thinking still is that Mac users will be even less accepting of the reduced performance of a netbook, which is probably why Apple isn't getting into the market.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Oh ok, So when you said it probably won't work on an atom you really meant it won't work on an atom because of the size of the ssd... ok you sould of been more clear...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Oh ok, So when you said it probably won't work on an atom you really meant it won't work on an atom because of the size of the ssd... ok you sould of been more clear...[/citation]
No no, I stand corrected on the Atom issue, I shouldn't have said it couldn't run on an Atom.

However, I wonder how well Apple's motto of "It just works" stays with the reduced graphics and cpu power. I'm just saying the real reason Apple isn't releasing a netbook may be the reduced performance and not just because they like their high profit margins. Sort of like how Microsoft doesn't promote Vista on many netbooks, cause they know it won't run as well.

I still stick by my original point which was "I think in the end, everything that makes people want to use a mac will simply vanish when there's no hardware to support it..."

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
ok right right, again all based on facts.

Please post a link or something, stop talking out of your ass. It's kinda obvious you have no experience about the things you talk about.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Apple makes smaller machines, but they are expensive, and HEAVY. (except for the MacAir(head) which is double-expensive).

I have read about people putting OSX on netbooks, mostly it seems that they have been using the Dell Mini's. But so far they haven't gotten enough drivers to make everything work right.

meatwad53186

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]ok right right, again all based on facts. Please post a link or something, stop talking out of your ass. It's kinda obvious you have no experience about the things you talk about.[/citation]

There's no reason to be a dick about it. I'm pretty sure he said the words "I bet", which signifies that it was an opinion of his, and that he wasn't saying it was a fact.This is just his opinion and he is entitled to it. This is a forum, he's not writing his own fact-based article so just chill out.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
There is a USB dongle made in Europe that has a lot of promise check it out. I will give it a shot once it becomes available. It is a drag that you are limited as to what hardware you can use, but at least you will be able to build a custom Mac.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I think they will realize why they don't make a mac netbook when the OS is too bloated to run on netbook hardware.[/citation]

Ehh?

xantech22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
i think kanye west, tim cook and steve jobs are screwing each other with hats off!

what i meant is: MAN THE EGO!!!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
You guys really haven't ever used OS X if you think it can't or won't run on a netbook.

I just switched screens to my 3 year old Mac Mini running Leopard. Firefox, iTunes, iChat, iPhoto, Word, and Xcode are all open. Ram used: 458 MB. The interface is snappy just as it is on a MacBook Pro and this has stock, old, crappy intel graphics. OS X will run perfectly fine on a netbook.

mrhappy50

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Apple is kinda stupid "didn’t know how to make a sub-$500 computer that wasn’t a piece of junk” or “didn’t deserve the Apple brand,” cuz there is a fairly large market for netbooks. 500$ apple netbook? apple could make loads of money, besides theres only 1 or 2 kinds of netbook setups. Mabey there waiting for the next gen atom???

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]meatwad53186[/nom]There's no reason to be a dick about it. I'm pretty sure he said the words "I bet", which signifies that it was an opinion of his, and that he wasn't saying it was a fact.This is just his opinion and he is entitled to it. This is a forum, he's not writing his own fact-based article so just chill out.[/citation]

Not trying to be a dick, it's just bad enough that everyone has a bias against apple as it is. I was simply asking him to give me some sort of source to backup his claims or maybe he did some research.

Besides if he uses the word "bloated" for OS X then what word is left for Vista? Blimped? Exploded? I dunno i rather stick with the current definition of bloated.

G

OS X is NOT bloated. It's extremely scalable and very efficient. Besides, most netbooks out there run the same damn graphics card that low end macbooks and the mac mini run: Intel GMA950, so even the "pretty graphics" will work fine. Mac OS installs into about 8GB or less without the iLife suite, which is rather large, but should still fit comfortably on a 16GB SSD, just don't put a lot of crap on it. It's a netbook. This has been done many times.

G

I would be interested in buying one if they made it affordable. I have avoided macs because of price, but the last time I used a mac was in 1995 and would like to see how things have changed from personal experience.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]mrhappy50[/nom] Mabey there waiting for the next gen atom???[/citation]

Its already here, its called the Via Nano ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.