Pub Quiz - 20050321

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Matthew Newell <matt@capeside.co.uk> writes:

> In article <87psxgl36z.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>,
> keith@flat222.org says...
>> msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> > No, red. Bill Daly was the only one who got it right.
>> > See <http://archeryweb.com/archery/images/olytargt.jpg>.
>>
>> That confirms that gold is the correct answer. You'll note that there is
>> a gold ring around the inner gold disk.
>>

> and being a pedant - a black ring around the inner most
> yellow disc - delineating the inner from the outer.

That's a good point, well made.

"Treason doth never prosper"

schultr@mail.biu.ack.il (Richard Schultz) writes:

> it was just an effort to save Mr. Owen the trouble of having to do the work
> necessary to confirm that his "correction" was an error

Presumably, simultaneously giving off the aura of a condescending dick
was just a lucky by-product...
--
Gareth Owen
A man,a plan,a canoe,pasta,heros,rajahs,a coloratura,maps,snipe,percale,

:
: Presumably, simultaneously giving off the aura of a condescending dick
: was just a lucky by-product...

Since spelling does not appear to be your forte, perhaps you'll do better
at this little "True or False" quiz:

(1) True or False: Rosemary Clooney had a hit song entitled "This Ole House."

(2) True or False: I correctly reported that the name of her hit song
was "This Ole House."

(3) True or False: You claimed that the name of the song in question was
in fact "This Ol' House."

(4) True or False: Your attempt at pedantry backfired when its incorrectness
was demonstrated in the form of a reference to a photograph of a record of
the song in question.

(5) True or False: Your sense of humor does not extend to any jokes, no
matter how harmless, made at your expense.

No peeking at your neighbor's paper!

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"You don't even have a clue about which clue you're missing."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willoughby:

Mark Brader:

Keith Willoughby:
>>> That confirms that gold is the correct answer. You'll note that there is
>>> a gold ring around the inner gold disk.

Dang, he's right. <http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/olympics.htm>
confirms that this is counted as a separate ring. Seems to me that this
was a badly designed question, as people would be more likely to get
the right answer for the wrong reason (hearing "inner ring" and thinking
"inner color" -- in fact, the page I cited makes the same mistake) than
for the right reason.

Matthew Newell:
>> and being a pedant - a black ring around the inner most
>> yellow disc - delineating the inner from the outer.

Keith Willoughby:
> That's a good point, well made.

Except that that boundary line *isn't* counted as a ring, according to
the cited page.
--
Mark Brader | "I do not want to give the impression I spend all
Toronto | my time on the Internet, but in the right hands

Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
> I tried to make it clear I wasn't looking for Greenland/Denmark by
> specifying "continental".

But that didn't stop Gareth. :)

Then again, Denmark was the correct continental answer until Sweden
and Finland joined ten years ago, Greenland or not.

I for my part har to pose my question with care, since Denmark still
could be said to be the EU country with the northernmost point. And
I purposely skipped "continental" to include Britian in the countries
that are north of Denmark.

It's easier in the south. All know which EU country that extends
furthermost south, don't they?

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se

Erland Sommarskog <esqvel@sommarskog.se> writes:

> Keith Willovghby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
>> I tried to make it clear I wasn't looking for Greenland/Denmark by
>> specifying "continental".
>
> Bvt that didn't stop Gareth. :)
>
> Then again, Denmark was the correct continental answer vntil Sweden
> and Finland joined ten years ago, Greenland or not.
>
> I for my part har to pose my qvestion with care, since Denmark still
> covld be said to be the EU covntry with the northernmost point. And
> I pvrposely skipped "continental" to inclvde Britian in the covntries
> that are north of Denmark.

Now I'm remembering it, I also pvt 'continental' becavse I had no idea
a) How far north Rockall is and b) whether they ever decided if it was
part of the UK.

> It's easier in the sovth. All know which EU covntry that extends
> fvrthermost sovth, don't they?

France (Revnion)

--
Keith Willovghby http://flat222.org/keith/
Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Keith Willovghby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
>> It's easier in the sovth. All know which EU covntry that extends
>> fvrthermost sovth, don't they?
>
> France (Revnion)

Yvp. And before anyone asks, the eastern- and western-most points of the
EU are also in France. (Martiniqve is the western-most. Révnion maybe
the easternmost, bvt I don't know the statvs of France's Pacific territories
with regards to EU; these are only TOM (territorie ovtre mèr) not DOM
(département ovtre mèr).

Strangely, thovgh, at least Gvyana is not part of the Schengen treaty.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esqvel@sommarskog.se

Erland Sommarskog <esquel@sommarskog.se> writes:

> Keith Willoughby (keith@flat222.org) writes:
> > I tried to make it clear I wasn't looking for Greenland/Denmark by
> > specifying "continental".
>
> But that didn't stop Gareth. :)

Ahh, but I wasn't thinking of Greenland, I was thinking of the Northern tip of
Denmark. Because, and I take no pride in this, I am almost completely
ignorant about Scandinavia (though I did once review a grant proposal for the
Norwegian institute of science).