Public? Your Beta is Arriving

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh install of Windows 7 64 BETA seems faster than Vista 64 loading up Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Suite and all the patches which takes a considerabe time. MS Offce 2000 works! Anyone else notice Windows 7 64 Beta running faster? I have the Beta installed on an NF4 chipset with a single core 2.4GHz. processor and 2 GB PC3200. Thanks Randomizer.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I think win 7 64 is faster, but I am comparing it to xp 32.

Boot time is not that impressive, better but not like i have read. Boot is slightly faster than xp 32.

overall i think it is faster. I picked up 10-20 fps in COD5. I think it is much smoother. Considering it is a beta, i am surprised. Once the retail comes out with all the BS, that may bloat it.

Really, being a beta i am impressed overall with the performance and compatibility with drivers. It worked fine without all the 3rd party device drivers installed. It booted perfectly and gave me no "new hardwar" boxes. It took most of my 32 bit drivers, like realtek and all my 64 bit drivers (ATI CCC8.12, etc.) except it my Gigabyte-realtek LAN driver was not compatible. Although win7 used it own driver for it without an issue.

I loaded the 64 bit version on a 74G Raptor. Installed it on a Socket 754 MB with an AMD 3200, Nvidia 5900 Ultra, 1 GB PC3200, NF3 MB. Everything worked fine except the Lan driver. I tried every driver I had and none would load properly. Deleted all the NF3 drivers and loaded the hard drive into an NF4 machine with AMD 64 4000, 2GB PC3200 RAM and 7900GT. This machine was loaded with Windows XP. Windows 7 64 BETA sems to run very fast loading the software I have so far. Seems a lot like Vista, but more responsive. That could be because of the fresh install or like 50mg mentioned a lack of the anticipated bloatware.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
This is working as of post time.

http://windows7center.com/windows-7-news/how-to-download-windows-7-beta-now-and-get-an-activation-key/

Windows site will give 5 keys if you keep refreshing. F5

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Thanks knotknut, I got the keys - but I can't seem to get more than 680+ MB of the 2.4 GB iso downloaded, then it just stops with the "download complete" message ...

I'm using Firefox, do i need to go to IE?

I think the servers are super busy and you may be being dropped from the server. Shadow's link worked the first time I tried it. It was slow, but never dropped me. Better get the download started, it took hours! Yeah, try the 64 bit version. Like I said NF3, no Lan driver I could find to work. NF4 works very well (no ! in Device manager). When I tried MS updates for the Start Menu, MS loaded up a driver for my 7900GTO and a couple of other system drivers (Sound Realtek). So, yeah if yoiu have a NF4 or newer MB, the 64 bit version should not give any trouble. This BETA appears to be useful, runs much better than Vista BETA 1.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I'm at the "offical" MS 7 Beta (technet) page now on another machine. Seems to be d/ling ok, but it always starts out fast ... then peters out and dies.
This time I'm using IE, so we'll see. This is like 9-10 attempts ...

After I completed the download on my personal machine, I clicked on the download nd Nero 7 popped up and allowed me to do a one click burn od Win 7 64 BETA to DVD. I expected that. So, if you have Nero or some other compotent 'burn' software installed on the machine you are downloading to, should work that way. I used a spare HD to load up the OS DVD. I can move that HD around to any system I want to. I can keep that HD for BETA 2 when it is available.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Just got my key to Windows 7 64 bit and it has been activated. It seems to be a little faster than the Vista Ultimate but boot up is about the same. Last night I had a problem with the ATI drivers for my HD3870 and had to reinstall Windows 7 and use the OS drivers. The CCC & drivers for Windows 7 was from ATI's website and everytime I started up it would say drivers not installed. The OS drivers are working fine. Had to use Kaspersky's Anti-Virus. My McAfee Security Suite would not work and McAfee at this moment has not posted any update or upgrade for this OS. LOL everyone

I used a AMD 64 4000 San Diego single core and 2 x 1 GB OCZ Platinum PC3200 2-3-2-5. That's wahat I was saying, the Win 64 bit version really responed to that pair when I loaded up Office 2000 Small Business from CD and then online updates. I looked through Win 7 system services and saw Superfectch was enabled. I was going to try a Readyboost drive and see if that was an option. Oh well, at least you can load up a truckload of RAM on the 64 bit and have the OS actively access all of it. You 64 bit processor would be receiving 64 bit instruction from the 64 bit OS even if no other software was 64. So, yeah that's enough for me.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I used imageburn to create my dvd. Worked seemlessly.

I used firefox to download it. LOL. I like IE, but i always use FF for any big download.

I do like IE8, what i have used so far.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Exactly. Something with a hash, which is no guarantee, is one thing, which would probably make 7 fine as well. I had a friend who use to be a torrent freak. I was constantly cleaning his machine, from every virus and trojan known. It used to drive me crazy.

randomizer

Champion

I've compared MD5 and SHA-1 hashes with what people reported from the official files and the torrents came up clean. Interestingly, MSDN has a slightly different download size to the torrents and the public beta site.

Something strange happens for me
I create an account in MS,and when i click on download (i want the 64bit version) it tells me to give the password and when i do,after some minutes, it says "Internet explorer can not open this page" anyone knows hy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.