Pulled the trigger guys!!! GTX 1070 FE but a ? I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzTec

Distinguished
Hey so I FINALLY! pulled the trigger on a GPU and it's the GTX 1070 i am very happy right now.... gotta wait a little for it to ship to me but I dont mind.

Now I got the FE card as a gift but not really because I wound up paying ultimately w.e. not worth explaining. My question is would the card be worth just using right out the gate or should I sell it unopened and try and get a Aftermarket version from MSI or Asus etc.?

Currently my case isn't the best @ air flow just one intake fan and one exhaust in a 350D so I can see the FE being helpful since it blows to the exhaust but idk. Just wondering if getting the Aftermarket is a huuuge upgrade over the FE model or it's pretty minimal.

Thanks for any response I get and I am still excited if i stick with the card or another its my first GPU ever purchased! Woo! :p

Solution
The only real difference will be the level of fan noise. But the FE model is not considered noisy by a long shot. Performance-wise, the difference is minimal.

fannoise_load.png

iBloody

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUo1S55ZUM - Too long didn't watch; The card will start "thermal throttling" at consistent 80%+ core usage at it's out of the box boost clocks, simply because the thermals aren't that great on the stock cooler. The only way to offset that would be to increase the fan speed past desirable noise levels. (With desirable I mean quite loud)

In short, if you wish to have the best experience whilst maintaining high core clock speeds, your best bet is to get an aftermarket 1070. But if you don't really care about the size of your OC e-peen, then by all means, the FE card will definitely deliver. (I personally prefer the FE design over all of the aftermarket ones myself)

EzTec

Distinguished
I am not loving the FE design as it clashes with my Mild black and red theme I have going didn't really mean to go that way but it kinda just happened. I need to get a few more fans for my rig prob. off amazon looking at these white rim led lights not sure how they'll play out in contrast but yea gotta see. Not too happy about having to turn up the noise levels of the fan really loud if I want to keep the card cool :( might just have to throw the card for sale online and get the aftermarket cooler.

Seeing the overpriced cards everywhere I am going to try and nail it right around $450 which is at least $50 cheaper than everywhere else and $75 cheaper than Amz at the moment so hopefully goes fast so I can order my other card this waiting around for shipping is driving me nuts.

EzTec

Distinguished
Good to see the noise levels arent crazy but still leaves something else for me... the color / style but more the color.

I saw some videos of Linus and TechSource and some other people painting the shroud of the card which is something I could also consider so long as it doesn't void my warranty but also never done something like this so it's a little concerning considering its an expensive card! :p

EzTec

Distinguished
I get that... Yea painting is prob. not the way to go it was just a thought but still want the sexier aesthetics of another partners card design over the FE I am loving MSI's one and Asus and well shit all of them lol. If the Shroud was like all Black I probably wouldn't be bitching to be honest about the color and design just it clashes there isn't anything that I can color match to the GPU except maybe a heatsink from my cpu cooler which would also be silver depending on the model of course but yea... I am a aesthetics kinda guy like a lot of people I'm sure.

EzTec

Distinguished

I been trying to see if it might be possible to sell my Motherboard and get a white one to go like a White, Black and Silver them not sure how that would look to keep the reference model and start gaming but I need a Micro ATX Mobo for about 150 or less to make it worth it ... already have a good mobo but changing the color scheme would be better if i kept the card and dont want to try painting the parts on a motherboard lol.

Gonna do some diggin i see some nice white boards but they are like super expensive.... I guess an all black would do as well

iBloody

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Wait, how can you sit there and say the only real difference will be the level of fan noise, yet the only way to keep it from throttling is to ramp up the fan? But when the card does throttle to keep its temperatures from rising above the 82C threshold, it lags behind custom cards in terms of core clock anywhere from 250 to 400 Mhz depending on the situation.

To put it in perspective using the tomshardware charts; notice the Founder's edition barely maxing out at 1700 Mhz whilst touching it's thermal limits? While the MSI 1070 is sitting comfortably at 2100 Mhz not even passing the 70C mark?

22-Temperatures-Per-Clock.png

In response to 17 Seconds:
The graph you showed is lacking 2 things: Fan speed, and/or what kind of load. Depending on the load, the noise levels will vary severely. Therefore that chart is actually misleading.

As for noise levels, I suppose "acceptable" would be subjective. I can however, assure you that the card will NOT stay under 36 dBA on a normal fan profile under a "real world" gaming load.

Again, using the tomshardware charts - which seem to be following the same results I've seen on other reviewing websites - 1070 FE @ 44-46 dBA, MSI 1070 34-36 dBA. (In real world application, this is a WORLD of difference in terms of audible and inaudible.)

31-Noise-Per-Watt.png

32-Noise-Per-Clock.png

It is worth mentioning that in the last chart, the MSI 1070 did drop down to 2000 Mhz, up from 2100 Mhz, compared to the first chart shown.

Last but not least, a word from a reviewer here at toms:

"Bottom Line
The cooling solution’s not bad, but the GeForce GTX 1080 does take a performance hit when it runs into its thermal limit. We’re looking forward to the partners’ solutions, which we expect to both be quieter and provide better cooling. "

Sorry for the long post, but I dislike it if misinformation is spread. Especially when there are hints of ignorance mixed in the information being presented.

You're going to need to tone down your accusations of "ignorance" and "misinformation".

You show a bunch of charts, but not once do you show what difference it makes in terms of performance. You've clearly latched onto the idea of throttling, but have made a false assumption, that might itself be considered ignorant. Your false assumption is that performance is impacted by the FE cooler.

The MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X with the Twin Frozr cooler is considered one of the top of the line 1070s with one of the best coolers on the market. In addition, it comes with a hefty almost 14% factory overclock.

So according to your false assumptions, one would expect at least a +14% performance increase, plus a bit more due to superior cooling that avoids the throttling of the FE model.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1070_Gaming_X/24.html
perfrel_1920_1080.png

---------------
If you wish to remain a credible member of the Tom's Hardware community, I suggest that you think through your posts a bit better and avoid hurling insults at a moderator and one of the site's top graphics cards experts.

iBloody

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
On topic: Misinformation is being spread if you proclaim that the only real difference is the noise level, when all of the graphs clearly disagree. Including the ones you've presented. Therefore, my "false assumption(s)" of the FE card being negatively impacted thermally, and in turn reducing performance is in fact not an assumption, but factual. The word performance is not exclusive to raw FPS but can in fact be used to describe multiple aspects of a cards performance. I think you must've presumed that I assumed the former, while the latter is the case however.

Furthermore, since when do overclock percentages equate to raw increased FPS percentages at a 1:1 ratio? My posts did not state, imply or even remotely hint to the fact that such performance gain would be the case. That was a bold assumption on your part`. ;)

Graphs summary: (All compared to the MSI GTX 1070)

1. 17% More noise due to blower style fan (As per your graph- 100%/36 dBA * 6 dBA = 16.7%)
2. 20-22% Increased core temperature (100%/68C * 14C)
3. 14-23% Reduced clock speed due to thermal limits (100%/1700 Mhz * x) x being the given clock speed difference.

1) As I've stated before, acceptable noise levels are debatable. I don't know wether you own the card, or wether you're simply stating what you've read about it. But I can tell you from my experience owning the card that;
* If you want the card to run faster than it's standard boost clock out of the box, you will be disappointed. It will simply demand to run hotter, or be "heard".
* If the card is being maxed out in terms of usage, you will still notice core clock variances unless you alter fan speed and temperature limit.

2) The core temperature sits at 82-83C consistently during any game that actually makes use of the card. If you don't play around with the power limit and the upper temperature limit specifically for that scenario (typically meaning: allowing it to run even hotter; expect anywhere from 86 to 95C), you will suffer from fluctuating core clocks. This can and some most cases will result in non-pretty FPS dips.
* If you don't want it to throttle down +/-100 Mhz consistently in order to stay within the thermal limit - which causes microstutters, fps dips and sometimes tearing - you HAVE to turn up the fan speed, or increase it's max thermal limit. It can mean the difference between running a title maxed out with no microstutters, or running the same title maxed out with microstutters due to core clock variances.

3) Reduced clock speed. All in all, not the biggest issue, but definitely NOT minimal and absolutely worth mentioning. A difference of 250-400 Mhz core clock speed seems huge. But in terms of FPS, the difference is anywhere from 3 to 10 FPS depending on the title. Then again, this could again mean the difference of playing with compromise or without compromise.

We have someone here that has just purchased their first GPU, and is asking wether or not they should opt to get an AIB card or stick with the reference model. It's only fair that when you state that it's only a minimal difference, that you also state what could be thought of as quite groundbreaking when it comes down to decision making. If he is anything like me when I bought my first 400-500 dollar GPU, I expect him to want to be able to play today's titles without compromise at atleast 1080p. Considering the information at hand, taking every aspect of "performance" into consideration, the simple answer is: Most titles. In other words, you may run into (thermal) issues on some titles, and will have to compromise on one or more aspects.

But don't take my word for it - Here is another Tom's Hardware user that runs into the same thermal issues as a bunch of other people on the net. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3108028/gtx-1070-performance-issues-temperature-problems.html

Throttling is one of the most overblown non-issues. The fact is, that the clock speed behavior is exactly the same as every reference card ever since Turbo Boost was invented. If you have a reference card of any vintage, even those with the "Titan" cooler, you will run most of the time at the base clock speed.

> Now does it impact performance? That is the question. Do fluctuations in the clock speed result in stutter?

No.
index.php

Overall we can say that the GeForce GTX 1080 performed exemplarily in the ten FCAT tests we ran it through. Three out of ten tests were DirectX 12 enabled as well. The end-score is a whopping 10 out 10, all games passed our examination easily without any noticeable stutters or anomalies, and that is pretty terrific if you ask me.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/fcat_geforce_gtx_1080_framepacing_review,16.html

> And what about Frames Per Second?
Again no. Similar to the MSI Gaming X, the EVGA ACX SC has a +6% factory overclock over the reference card and has one of the best non-throttling ACX coolers on the market. As mentioned way up the thread "the performance difference is minimal", in this case 3%. If the throttling of the FE card had that much of an impact, you would expect a more dominant showing by a non-throttling custom cooled card with a factory overclock.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_1070_SC/24.html
perfrel_1920_1080.png

-----------------
Now if anyone would like to discuss these and other topics with the community, be sure to check out the "Nvidia GTX 1000 series mega-thread":
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources/page-38.html

Status
Not open for further replies.