[SOLVED] Purchased a Crucial MX500 2TB, any advice on how to "prepare" it for use?

lewis1190

Commendable
Nov 12, 2020
Hopefully, this shouldn't be a duplicate of the stickies, as I'm asking for personal experiences / opinions.

The SSD I have purchased is (supposed to be) brand new. Looking at the packaging, it looks spotless; straight from the warehouse.

Is there anything in particular I should do after I plug in my new SSD?
It would be nice to ensure that the SSD is in good health to avoid any problems later down the line.

Even if the drive is empty, should I format it in a specific way? I think I've heard something about this in the past, but wasn't too sure about the whole thing.

I've got CrystalDiskInfo but I don't know if you guys would recommend anything else to check the health of the (supposedly new) drive. Some people say to just plug in and play, but others reccomend against that; saying it should be fully wiped, checked, etc. beforehand.

So my question is: "If you bought an SSD today, what would you do between installation and usage?"

Thanks in advance!

Solution
OK...

Whatever lives on the HDD, move to the new SSD and swap drive letters around.

Steam based games can be moved.
pagefile can be moved.

Personally, given an older 128GB Intel drive and a new 2TB MX500...I'd use the 2TB for the OS and most everything else.
Start over. Rather than trying to keep that old Intel as the OS drive.

lewis1190

Commendable
Nov 12, 2020
Sorry, I should have specified that!

I use Windows10 with the latest non-insider updates.

I use an Intel 128GB SSD for my OS drive and any programs incapable of being on a non-C:\ drive, and a WD BLACK HDD 4TB for games, editing software and everything else.

I've purchased this SSD to expand the storage (secondary drive), and move programs / games that would benefit from being moved from the mechanical HDD to the SSD.

The first thing I'll be moving from the HDD is the PageFile, as there wasn't enough room on my primary SSD for it. This leads to some pretty rough slow-downs when using multiple ram-heavy programs

USAFRet

Titan
OK...

Whatever lives on the HDD, move to the new SSD and swap drive letters around.

Steam based games can be moved.
pagefile can be moved.

Personally, given an older 128GB Intel drive and a new 2TB MX500...I'd use the 2TB for the OS and most everything else.
Start over. Rather than trying to keep that old Intel as the OS drive.

Solution