[SOLVED] Purchased a motherboard thru new egg, sold new by Owens. Registered serial number with Asus and was notified the warranty has expired.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Please keep it to 1 thread.
The motherboard came in a plain box marked new egg. Inside the box was a motherboard not in a factory retail box. Everything appears unused and it might be an OEM type of box. But how can I buy something new and not get a warranty. Something tells me, it's been registered before. This is ASUS, any ideas on what's going on. There's no date of manufacture but it's probably 2018. Doesn't seem the warranty should be expired but it is. Any recommendation on what department I should contact at Asus.

Solution
The motherboard came in a plain box marked new egg. Inside the box was a motherboard not in a factory retail box. Everything appears unused and it might be an OEM type of box. But how can I buy something new and not get a warranty. Something tells me, it's been registered before. This is ASUS, any ideas on what's going on. There's no date of manufacture but it's probably 2018. Doesn't seem the warranty should be expired but it is. Any recommendation on what department I should contact at Asus.
You should dispute the charge thru your credit card company. Return the board for a refund. Buy another one from a different seller.

kanewolf

Titan
You should dispute the charge thru your credit card company. Return the board for a refund. Buy another one from a different seller.

Solution

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Well, I finally got thru to asus. They are going to check with their service center to see if the board has a history other than being new and can still give me the warranty. It takes a few days so we'll see. It might just be that it was an oem type of product and it may very well be new. Appreciate the feedback,

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
So you bought this from a 3rd party seller not from newegg.

Red flags 3rd party seller, not in the factory packaging.
I bought it with my newegg account. They are a proxy for sellers. They handle payments and refunds and charge for advertising. It doesn't necessarily mean the seller is a third party retailer. They might be an oem seller and get the boards from Asus without the retail box. I'll get to the bottom of this withing a week. Asus knows all about it. I have a ticket on it and they are checking it's background. But whatever, no warranty means no sale and it's going right back. However Asus may know all about oem sellers and issue a full warranty if the unit is new and unused. I ordered a new one from Corn electronics, they shipped it then told me it was used. Sounds like bait and switch tactics. They immediately informed new egg they were out of stock and recalled the package and issued a full refund. However the very next day this board popped up on new egg from a different seller. Another red flag. So we'll see what Asus says. It may be a case of not paying new egg to advertise a board that is for sale by another seller. As soon as they sell out then pay for advertisement. That makes perfect sense. At this point I'm suspicious but I will get to the bottom of it and hope I get a warranty and it works. It did have a seal on it where the box opens warning about static sensitive components. You have to break the seal to open the box properly. So it might be an oem product of some type. All items do look new in sealed packages and it might just be the serial number doesn't work for oem stuff and it set of a flag saying unit out of warranty.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I bought it with my newegg account. They are a proxy for sellers. They handle payments and refunds and charge for advertising. It doesn't necessarily mean the seller is a third party retailer. They might be an oem seller and get the boards from Asus without the retail box. I'll get to the bottom of this withing a week. Asus knows all about it. I have a ticket on it and they are checking it's background. But whatever, no warranty means no sale and it's going right back. However Asus may know all about oem sellers and issue a full warranty if the unit is new and unused. I ordered a new one from Corn electronics, they shipped it then told me it was used. Sounds like bait and switch tactics. They immediately informed new egg they were out of stock and recalled the package and issued a full refund. However the very next day this board popped up on new egg from a different seller. Another red flag. So we'll see what Asus says. It may be a case of not paying new egg to advertise a board that is for sale by another seller. As soon as they sell out then pay for advertisement. That makes perfect sense. At this point I'm suspicious but I will get to the bottom of it and hope I get a warranty and it works. It did have a seal on it where the box opens warning about static sensitive components. You have to break the seal to open the box properly. So it might be an oem product of some type. All items do look new in sealed packages and it might just be the serial number doesn't work for oem stuff and it set of a flag saying unit out of warranty.
Mostly just no Post a link to the motherboard.
Found the seller.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119164?Item=9SIAYKBJJM1993

Sold and shipped by: Owens
7 Ratings (86% Positive)
Deliver to Select delivery location
FREE SHIPPINGfrom Chinahttps://forums.tomshardware.com/javascript:;

DOA10/6/2019 7:19:01 PM
Pros: None.
Cons: No display. Using Intel G4900, the lowest CPU it supports and no display using onboard or external GPU. Tried RMA-ing it online through Asus but all I get is "an RMA has already been requested" or something like that. What a joke of a support. Really disappointed because I've bought Asus motherboards before and they've always worked.
Overall Review: This board sucks. Got a dud and online support is non-existent.
Manufacturer Response:
Dear Mr R, Thank you for the feedback and making us aware of your experience. ASUS products undergo intensive quality control testing and final inspections for both hardware and software before we release it worldwide. ASUS provides warranty for the unit in order to fix or repair any isolated factory escape defect. Please double check if your CPU has any bent pins along with your CPU socket. After verifying you parts please reseat your CPU cooler without applying too much pressure against your CPU as doing so may interfere with your memory channel. You can also try clearing your CMOS. If the issues persist, feel free to contact me if you have any technical or general questions. You can reach me at cl-adrian@asus.com. Your case for reference is N191036404. Thank you for choosing ASUS! Best Regards, Adrian ASUS Customer Loyalty – US Support

Concerned: received in unmarked box, foil pouch not sealed, no manual7/15/2022 4:28:43 PM
Pros: I'll try to remember to update this once I get everything plugged in and working (assuming it works). I'll up it to 4 eggs if it works.
Cons: - Packed in unmarked box. - Mylar wrapping not sealed. - Cannot tell if any accessories are missing. - I hope this works
Overall Review: I'm a bit concerned about receiving what appears to be either a refurbished or an open-box item when it is not obviously shown, in the description, to be either one. I truly expected better than this. If it does not function, this will be a major disappointment and I will be returning it.

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Greywolf, I'm sorry to hear that you received the item in an unmarked box. Possibly, you might receive a refurbished/open box item. We do hope that it is able to function, if you have any technical concerns, feel free to reach out to me at customerloyalty@asus.com and provide this link for reference. I'll do my best to provide a quick resolution to your case. Your feedback is important as it helps with improvements to ASUS Support channels. Thank you for choosing ASUS! Best Regards, Jamalie, ASUS Customer Loyalty US Support

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

If it's not NewEgg directly selling to you, by definition, it's a third-party seller. A proxy relationship refers to something different.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I talked to the seller Owens, they said they remove the box, cd and owners manual for shipping reasons. I does reduce they weight and you can download the owners manual and software online. I contacted ASUS America and they can't get it authorized because it is zoned for China. Gee I wonder if the bios is in Chinese only. I can't turn mine on but I don't remember a bios language choice in the bios. This is stupid simple, Asus should have a global help desk. I asked the American service center who I should contact to get it authorized. This is a riot as though the parts belong to China. However I wouldn't doubt that if they do warranty it, I'll have to send it to China for repair. lol What a hoot. My next attempt is to check into the third party warranty sold thru newegg. They might cover it if they have contracts with Asus service centers. I don't see why not, the components should all be the same on these boards, but maybe not. Doesn't seem likely though.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
This happened to me and the help desk in America is working on the problem. However I'm on my second ticket now. The first ticket was resolved to have no warranty because the product was zoned for China. This is incorrect, according to Asus they don't care where it was sold. So I sent them a current pdf from Asus's website file that explicitly indicates there are no zoning restrictions like that. Their next reply was this: We are sorry but parts aren't available from that zone. I had to laugh so I just filled out another request and got another ticket.

After a bit of research I did find that you cannot register a mobo twice. You will get an error stating this during registration. The only error I got was a yellow exclamation saying out of warranty. The website had no idea where I bought it and declined it by the serial number. So the board is new but I'm beginning to think that after three years from the manufactured date you may not actually get a warranty. Of course this is news to everyone I've talked to at New Egg. Anyone here have the same problem? If so, what ended up happening?

Last edited:

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Thanks for the input Zerk, This is not a problem with the seller Owens. In fact, they are a reputable company as they have taken very good care of me. This whole things was a learning experience. Owens removes motherboards from the retail box in order to ship them more securely. The board is brand new but Asus America cannot authorize a mobo that is zoned for China. They used the serial number and when discovering it was zoned for China they quit working on the solution. They did this twice after I opened a new ticket. This time I told them it was their responsibility to have the Chinese center perform the warranty validation. Requested supervisor intervention if they didn't know how. These are call centers loaded with kids who lack common sense. Does it not make sense to forward the problem to the correct zone? Thanks to something Owens did, I have nothing to worry about. They are truly a great company.