[SOLVED] Purchased a new PSU

Oct 2, 2020
What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and I come with a pretty big problem on my end! I purchased a pre-built gaming PC from Best Buy and I spent a good amount of money on it. Not sure if I can post the link but it was a high-end one from iBuyPower and the PSU took a dump on me a few months after owning it. Today, I replaced it with a CX750W from Corsair (Sorry don't know much about computers, trying to learn) It took me forever to figure out how to change everything out eventually, my friend ended up coming over and doing it for me, I just need to clean up the wires tomorrow. However, the PSU is extremely loud when I play games and it's never been like this even with the 650w PSU that had originally came with my PC. My PSU is at the bottom of the case and it's facing downwards towards the vents cause my buddy said that it was suppose to be done that way. Any ideas why this is? The fan seems to be running at an extremely quick speed and it sounds like a jet engine is sitting right besides me lol. Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and I come with a pretty big problem on my end! I purchased a pre-built gaming PC from Best Buy and I spent a good amount of money on it. Not sure if I can post the link but it was a high-end one from iBuyPower and the PSU took a dump on me a few months after owning it. Today, I replaced it with a CX750W from Corsair (Sorry don't know much about computers, trying to learn) It took me forever to figure out how to change everything out eventually, my friend ended up coming over and doing it for me, I just need to clean up the wires tomorrow. However, the PSU is extremely loud when I play games and it's never been like this even with the 650w PSU that had originally came with my PC. My PSU is...
What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and I come with a pretty big problem on my end! I purchased a pre-built gaming PC from Best Buy and I spent a good amount of money on it. Not sure if I can post the link but it was a high-end one from iBuyPower and the PSU took a dump on me a few months after owning it. Today, I replaced it with a CX750W from Corsair (Sorry don't know much about computers, trying to learn) It took me forever to figure out how to change everything out eventually, my friend ended up coming over and doing it for me, I just need to clean up the wires tomorrow. However, the PSU is extremely loud when I play games and it's never been like this even with the 650w PSU that had originally came with my PC. My PSU is at the bottom of the case and it's facing downwards towards the vents cause my buddy said that it was suppose to be done that way. Any ideas why this is? The fan seems to be running at an extremely quick speed and it sounds like a jet engine is sitting right besides me lol. Thanks for the help in advance!

The CX750 is a noisy unit as expressed by others. You should have got the RX version for more quiet operation.
If it is running fast as you say extreme and at idle then there is something wrong as it should only rev like that if the system is under extreme load. RMA is your best option.

Solution
Oct 2, 2020
The CX750 is a noisy unit as expressed by others. You should have got the RX version for more quiet operation.
If it is running fast as you say extreme and at idle then there is something wrong as it should only rev like that if the system is under extreme load. RMA is your best option.

If I need to go back get a new PSU and put it in I'm going to cry ahahahaha. As a first time replacement, not knowing what I got myself into, it was extremely difficult for me!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If I need to go back get a new PSU and put it in I'm going to cry ahahahaha. As a first time replacement, not knowing what I got myself into, it was extremely difficult for me!

What was this PSU you previously had? If it's actually high-end, it would be worth contacting Ibuypower. (A pre-built ibuypower from Best Buy will typically not have a high-end PSU).

The Corsair CX series are excellent budget PSUs, but they are budget PSUs and they're not geared towards things like silent operation. Though if it's severe, there could also be something wrong with a fan bearing or something.

Oct 2, 2020
What was this PSU you previously had? If it's actually high-end, it would be worth contacting Ibuypower. (A pre-built ibuypower from Best Buy will typically not have a high-end PSU).

The Corsair CX series are excellent budget PSUs, but they are budget PSUs and they're not geared towards things like silent operation. Though if it's severe, there could also be something wrong with a fan bearing or something.

Honest to god man, the PSU I got with the prebuilt literally had no brand on it or anything. It was a modular CPU and the wiring was HORRIBLE. I'd imagine for spending that kind of money I'd get something of decent quality but they went extremely low budget, even my friend was disappointed. I'd love to learn how to take the entire thing apart and put it together myself but it looks so difficult and it's kind of overwhelming for me. I might just suck it up and try to see what the problem is tomorrow while making the wires look nice and pretty.