[SOLVED] Purchased new RAM, PC won't boot into Windows

Jabes2345

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Hey all,

I bought a new set of RAM XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB (AX4U3600316G18A-DT60 ) to replace my old kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16) after the Corsair ones tested for errors on memtest86.

After installing the new RAM, Windows booted up the first time around. It wasn't until I tried restarting my PC one time that it wouldn't cleanly boot into Windows. I wouldn't get any signal on my monitors after the PC loads past the BIOS screen. It would take several hits of the reset button to get it to boot into Windows.

I run Memtest86 for 8 passes on the XPG RAM and comes up with 0 errors. After the test finished, I tried booting back into Windows again but it never would, regardless of how many times I hit the reset button. I try using only 1 stick at a time in the designated RAM slot for 1 stick configuration on my motherboard (B450 Tomahawk MAX), but it wouldn't even post with one stick. At two sticks, the PC posts but will never load into Windows.

I install my old Corsair RAM into my PC and it boots just fine into Windows.

What could be causing the problem? I double checked RAM compatibility and the XPG kit is on the QVL for my motherboard. I did zero overclocking on any of my components.

List of PC components for reference:
  • CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 3.6Ghz
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 AIO
  • Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk MAX
  • GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3070
  • PSU: XPG Core Reactor 750W
  • RAM: stated above

Last edited:
Solution
Hey all,

I bought a new set of RAM XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB (AX4U3600316G18A-DT60 ) to replace my old kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16) after the Corsair ones tested for errors on memtest86.

After installing the new RAM, Windows booted up the first time around. It wasn't until I tried restarting my PC one time that it wouldn't cleanly boot into Windows. I wouldn't get any signal on my monitors after the PC loads past the BIOS screen. It would take several hits of the reset button to get it to boot into Windows.

I run Memtest86 for 8 passes on the XPG RAM and comes up with 0 errors. After the test finished, I tried booting back into Windows again but it never would, regardless of how many times I hit the reset...
Hey all,

I run Memtest86 for 8 passes on the XPG RAM and comes up with 0 errors. After the test finished, I tried booting back into Windows again but it never would, regardless of how many times I hit the reset button. I try using only 1 stick at a time in the designated RAM slot for 1 stick configuration on my motherboard (B450 Tomahawk MAX), but it wouldn't even post with one stick. At two sticks, the PC posts but will never load into Windows.

I install my old Corsair RAM into my PC and it boots just fine into Windows.

What could be causing the problem? I double checked RAM compatibility and the XPG kit is on the QVL for my motherboard. I did zero overclocking on any of my components.

List of PC components for reference:
  • CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 3.6Ghz
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 AIO
  • Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk MAX
  • GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3070
  • PSU: XPG Core Reactor 750W
  • RAM: stated above
Your CPU is rated for up to 3200Mhz and you are using 3600Mhz OC RAM.
It's not to say they won't work however the IMC may not like the rated frequency.

You will have to tweak your Bios settings and try different Timings and Voltage.
First try the SPD settings as given in CPUz.
If still no go then drop the frequency to 3200Mhz and Timings by one step higher.
Also try the command rate from 1t to 2t.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Theres a number of timings your motherboard sets for your RAM that are not exposed to us, the end-user. Who knows what those are set to and even if they are reset when you change memory. Every time I change RAM or CPU, I reset CMOS. If you have an overclock or a specific config of BIOS, save it to a profile first. You should already have one saved manually anyway, called Stock or something. So you have a baseline. After CMOS reset, turn on XMP again. If it doesn't work, up the DRAM voltage to 1.37-1.38v. Some motherboards don't provide enough voltage at XMP settings. It should be 1.35 volts but maybe the mobo only supplies 1.33 volts or something and that just isn't enough. Most RAM should be fine up to 1.45 volts, except Samsung C-die or something (it's not gonna die, C-die will be unstable over 1.35-1.36volts, it's weird one out).

If that isn't enough, play with SOC voltage and the two VDDGs if they are available on your mobo. SOC 1.1v, VDDGS 1.0v should be fine. VDDG_IO, VDDG_CCD. You could also play with ProcODT in RAM timings. Set it to some value between 40-53, try all of them, see if any work. 40,43,48,53.