Honorable
May 11, 2014
Hi

I have recently purchased more ram for my old pc

i7 3770
Intel DB75En
NvidiaGTX 1050ti 4GB
PSU - Cooler master elite 460w

Previous - Kingston value ram @ 1333mhz 8GB (2x2-1x4) (9-9-9-24)

New - Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz (1x8-1x8) (9-9-9-23) [(10-10-10-27) - XMP]

My question is can i use my old ram together with my my new ram i know it will run on 1333mhz due to the old one being at that frequency but the thing is the new ones are at 9-9-9-23 and the old one is at 9-9-9-24 so will they pair up i dont want to risk a BSOD so i ask here.

Plus is it good to run 16GB at 10-10-10-27 16000mhz OR 22GB [if they can pair up] at 1333mhz 9-9-9-24.

Corsair -
corsair.jpg

kingston-
kingston.jpg

Ty for any help/advice i know the speed will become less but i will get more ram.

Last edited:
Solution
It's always a gamble whether mixed memory will play nice together or not. All you can do is try. I'd install the new memory, and see what happens. Usually, you want to simply let it auto configure the memory when using mixed memory because manual settings will be difficult to determine what works well for both pairs of sticks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
so will they pair up i dont want to risk a BSOD so i ask here.
In all honesty, there is only 1 way to find out. No one here will be able to tell you if they work together, because it is a 50/50 bet. Mixed RAM modules are only guaranteed compatibility in the form sold (from the same pack). Even if you bought the exact same model from 2 different packs, you can't be sure they will work together, as the manufacturing process of the modules changes frequently.

Only way you'll know if they work together is by trying it yourself. As I said, it's a 50/50 bet really.

It's always a gamble whether mixed memory will play nice together or not. All you can do is try. I'd install the new memory, and see what happens. Usually, you want to simply let it auto configure the memory when using mixed memory because manual settings will be difficult to determine what works well for both pairs of sticks.

Solution

Zein87

Honorable
May 11, 2014
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions i guess i will give it a go :) to see how it goes .

I had endless problems mixing RAM so now if I want to upgrade RAM I ditch all the existing RAM and start over with a matched kit. May sound profligate but it's my money and I don't want any hassle.

Normally, I'd agree. But those sticks are both within JEDEC standard speeds and timings and it's a lot less common to have problems when they are than when they are faster sticks outside the standards supported with "OC" only on the motherboard specs. It's still a gamble though. It always is, no matter what, unless all the memory has come together.

Zein87

Honorable
May 11, 2014
Ok it didnt work the pc just restarts and keeps restarting so i have given up on tht idea , I disabled the XMP also then to it also didnt work. Ty everyone for your suggestions and idea :)

How sticks did you already have installed and what size are they each?

How many are you trying to add and what size are they each?

Looking at your initial post again, the memory configurations you posted don't make any sense. This can still work, but it depends on what you're trying to do. Usually you can't just pop new sticks in and go. Usually you need to pair them up, old sticks in one channel (On your board, blue slots), new sticks in the black slots, and then reset the BIOS to the default settings by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes, with the power off and unplugged from the wall. Then put it all back, power on and see if it will POST or power on.

Zein87

Honorable
May 11, 2014
Sorry for the late reply (been busy)

Oh ok hmm i installed two, 2GB** ram sticks into the black slots (2x8GB ones were in blue) so that it will make it 20GB and i haven't used the bios default settings and also will try to re-seat them as you have said. What should i do with the XMP its left on automatic by default. I forgot about the bios settings because i haven't changed these ram since 7 years.

** I have total 3 sticks with me old ones (kingston)
= 1 x 4 GB 1333mhz (9-9-9-24)
= 1 x 2GB 1333mhz (9-9-9-24)
= 1 x 2GB 1333mhz (9-9-9-24)

Ty i will try this and let you know :)

Last edited:
Yes, so, try the 2 x2GB in the black slots and the 2 x8GB in the blue slots. Then, with the power off of course, remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button continuously for 30 seconds. Now put it all back together, restore power, boot into the BIOS and on the same page you exit the BIOS from select the option to load the "Default settings" or "Optimal default settings". Save settings, exit BIOS, see if the system will boot into Windows. If it does, restart, go back into the BIOS, set the XMP profile, save settings, exit and see if the system will POST and boot.

If it will not, then you will need to probably just use the 2 x8GB sticks by themselves as they are probably not going to play nice with your older sticks.