News Purported Intel Core i7-14700K Benchmarks up to 20% Faster in Multi-Threaded Workloads

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't like that. How many programs support 20 cores? My 6 core Ryzen is not fully utilized.

Well that design came out with 12th gen, so it has been around a while and seems to work pretty well now. Light tasks run on the efficiency cores leaving the high speed cores available for what is needed. And then you have a lot of them for when multithreaded workloads are run.

Ryzen offers 16 cores 32 thread on the desktop as well, not like that thread count is exactly new either in desktop or on older workstation CPUs.

Didn't Intel kill the Celeron branding? I'm looking at what I think is the entire Alder Lake-N range and there's not a Celeron in sight:
Yeah they killed the branding, but that doesn't mean that they will stop making celeron tier CPUs, they just gonna call them intel not-core or something.
(probably just intel - "random" letter-sku number )

Reactions: KyaraM and artk2219

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
Intel 7 was 10nm and 18A is due when? 2027 if lucky :D

14,14,14,14,14,14,14,10,10,10,... old naming scheme
10,10,10,10,10,10,10,7,7,7,... new naming scheme

I got big money that this will not happen on the desktop ...
14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27 true desktop year
10,10,10,10,10,10,10,7,7,7,4,3,20A,18A process node minus + signs

Last edited:

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I'm on the 13th gen, and I was going to skip 2 or 3 gens before the next upgrade (maybe even go AMD), but if 14th gen gives me 20%+ boost and the heat/power is not too insane, I might upgrade the CPU. Asus already released the new 14th gen BIOS for my Z690 motherboard. And if Intel wants to squeeze more money from me faster, they should make the 15th gen compatible with Z690 with 100% speed boost at 50% lower power.

Reactions: Amdlova and vink
I'm on the 13th gen, and I was going to skip 2 or 3 gens before the next upgrade (maybe even go AMD), but if 14th gen gives me 20%+ boost and the heat/power is not too insane, I might upgrade the CPU. Asus already released the new 14th gen BIOS for my Z690 motherboard. And if Intel wants to squeeze more money from me faster, they should make the 15th gen compatible with Z690 with 100% speed boost at 50% lower power.
it's 20% in multicore by adding 20% more cores.

in short it's identical. might be clocked up a little on limited cores, might not. but all they did is add 20% more cores and claim a 20% uplift in multicore. (16c vs 20c)

Just be glad we now have more cores than programs can use instead of the other way around. It wasn't that long ago (2016) that more than 4 cores was considered "enthusiast", and dual cores were the norm, especially in the mobile market. Now with mainstream having at least 6 cores, programs getting CPU starved are getting rarer and rarer.

Go back now and try and use the Surface Pro 5, for example, from 2017 which topped out as a dual core.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
It wasn't that long ago (2016) that more than 4 cores was considered "enthusiast", and dual cores were the norm, especially in the mobile market.
Exactly. I still have a 15W U-series Skylake laptop, where even the i7 version had just 2 cores / 4 threads. You had to go all the way up to the high-end (45W?) HX line to get 4 cores / 8 threads.

It wasn't until Coffee Lake launched, in late 2017, where that started to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219

vink

Prominent
Jul 11, 2023
This CPU has an excellent benchmark, it will be amazing in work (Office, Cad, 3D etc) and I think also in Gaming. I hope all categories will ride even faster, as they have done very well and so far especially the Ks without any errors.

vink

Prominent
Jul 11, 2023
este 20% în multicore prin adăugarea cu 20% mai multe nuclee.

pe scurt este identic. s-ar putea să fie puțin înregistrat pe nuclee limitate, s-ar putea să nu. dar tot ce au făcut a fost să adauge cu 20% mai multe nuclee și să pretindă o creștere cu 20% în multicore. (16c vs 20c)
20% its a big progress (however, whether we like it or not).I'm curious how much it will be on i5K - my favorite budget.

it's 20% in multicore by adding 20% more cores.

in short it's identical. might be clocked up a little on limited cores, might not. but all they did is add 20% more cores and claim a 20% uplift in multicore. (16c vs 20c)
As long as it's the same price that's still a great thing, you still get 20% more for the same money.
If the price increases by 20% then yes, it would be terrible.
I just hope they have more models, from the low-end, that get more cores and not just that one.
Power consumption is already absurd... I can only imagine this being even worse!
That's not how it works, the gen will have a TDP max limit, probably the same 253W it has now, so it won't draw more power.
Only if you overclock power it by lifting power limits will it draw more, but then that is the point of overclocking, to be able to push it more.