Question purring sound coming from brand new Asus card,wtf it's Strix!!

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Omg what were you Asus guys doing??
Bought the new card,used for few days and it started to make a purring sound.
Firstly I contaacted them and was told it's a coil whine,and I knew it wasn't because coil whine sound is different,then I put my ear near the card and thought like this.
Let me try to load GPU in Ungine Heaven and set somehow that fans don't spin at least for a minute until I see if it's coil whine or fan failure.
Well the card worked like for 2 minutes,reached 62 C and fans started to spin,firstly middle fan and that was it,immediatly I could hear purring sound,then left fan,and maybe even left one is faulty.Then I turned off the PC put the finger on the axis of those fan and both of them can be pushed a bit inwards/upwards and I don't know if that is okay or not because the right end fan can not be pushed upwards,it's tight.
I made a second video after the one I posted here,and I can send it too,where you can clearly hear and notice it's the fan that is making this sound:
So what can I do,one thing which comes to my mind is somehow if there is a way to limit the FAN speed,if it's possible?
I don't think I can RMA card because of the weird sound coming out of it,because card works okay but this sound is making me so anxious and nervous.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOkcfIq4jxY

I will post the second video tommorow,and you guys tell me if you share same opinion.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Can the fans be replaced independent of the fan shroud? (Can you see one or two screws holding each fan to the shroud) if so, get a replacement fan from Asus.
yes,but RMA would take like 2 months,and I don't have time for such long.
I mean card works okay but just listen to the sound...
Don't know what to do,maybe I'll keep the card until fan dies,or malfunctions,and then RMA it...
I'm so dissapointed by Asus....

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
I highly doubt it would take Asus 2 months to ship you a new fan. But if that's truly the case, disconnect the center (noisy) fan until the new one arrives. A 1660Ti doesn't need that massive 3 fan cooler.
I'm loosing warranty if I do that,right?
And that includes removing cooler,right?
I can not disconnect fan,without opening the card (loosing warr)?

Last edited:

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Yes but the problem is that ordering the fan for my country from aliexpress I wouldn't need to wait for like 2 months,and RMA card to store would take a month to get it back...if I had the cooler I'd replace it by myself...
It's dumb to wait like month for a fan swap...