Putting a GTX 760 in a semi-old web Sever

Mtshaw113

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
My dad came home with an old web server the other day, with 4 Hex Core CPU's, and 120GB of RAM. And me being a gamer I was like "Hey, I should put my GPU in there". Basically, the power supplies dont have PCI power cables, so I would need another PSU dedicated to the GPU. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good solution/setup for this. The 760 has a min. recommended power of 500W, but only uses 170W (I think, according to NVIDIA's website). I also saw somewhere that I think it was a dedicated PSU to GPU, made for SLI/Crossfire, but the link was dead so I'm too sure what that was. Thanks for any help!

Figure out the current psu and see how much it is. you might bne able to get away with molex to gpu-power if there is enough extra poower. server psu's usually have lots of power for HD's if it's a kind of server made to handle like 10-12 hd's.

worse case you can use another psu, you just need to power it by using a paperclip to tie the green wire to a black wire to trick the second psu to thinking a power button has been pressed.

Mtshaw113

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014

I think there are four 900W power supplies in the server, but I can only find 2 molex cables (1 I had to unplug from the disc drive but oh well). The server has 8 drives in it now, and I think room for another 8 but im not exactly sure if it would need more cabling for that (Because there isnt an extra cable coming from the PSU's to the HDD bays). But back the molex connectors, I dont think 2 is enough, I believe my GPU (The 760 in my PC) has two 6 pins, and one 2 pin connector from the power supply(Or one 6 pin and one 8, its hard to tell without taking off my case cover which is a pain in the ass)