[SOLVED] Putting Windows 10 Boot Files on SSD With Windows 10 Installed?

penyothepredator

Reputable
Aug 27, 2017
I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-5156 that got its HDD replaced recently as the first one got messed up. The laptop was getting slower and slower until it didn't start one day and it turned out that was because the boot files for Windows 10 were on the HDD, which was messed up, whilst the Windows 10 installation was actually on the SSD.

Since the HDD got replaced there are no boot files on this one and I was wondering if I can still salvage what is on the SSD by somehow inserting boot files into it or if I should just do a clean install? There are some files I would like to get back (they aren't all that important but it'd be nice to have them) but I do not know how to extract them so I would like to just use the installation that is already there.

Thanks a lot for your answers in advance! Much appreciated!

Solution
If I understand correctly you need to get data files off of the SSD - is that correct?

Remove the SSD with the desired files and connect it as a second drive via a USB -- SSD adapter/enclosure.

Plug the SSD into another computer and the SSD should appear as another drive on that computer. Then access the desired folders and files.

Copy (not Move) the files to other locations and ensure that the files are recoverable and readable.

If you are not sure about the above actions, post accordingly especially if I have misunderstood something.

=====

Then you use the SSD for a clean install of Windows.

Use the following procedure from within this Forum...

Ralston18

Titan
If I understand correctly you need to get data files off of the SSD - is that correct?

Remove the SSD with the desired files and connect it as a second drive via a USB -- SSD adapter/enclosure.

Plug the SSD into another computer and the SSD should appear as another drive on that computer. Then access the desired folders and files.

Copy (not Move) the files to other locations and ensure that the files are recoverable and readable.

If you are not sure about the above actions, post accordingly especially if I have misunderstood something.

=====

Then you use the SSD for a clean install of Windows.

Use the following procedure from within this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Reactions: Turtle Rig
Solution

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018
Download the free Macrium Reflect and use it to create a bootable USB rescue drive. That has a boot fix option which may be able to create the necessary boot files on the SSD.

Download the free Macrium Reflect and use it to create a bootable USB rescue drive. That has a boot fix option which may be able to create the necessary boot files on the SSD.
You can also just use the normal windows installation usb and the rescue option that comes with.

A much easier solution would be to create a linux bootable usb and copy the files that way,not everybody has multiple systems,or is comfortable with opening the case and removing components.