Putting windows 7 on sdd

TacoOfAwesomness

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
So I'm installing windows 7 on a new ssd to make my boot drive but I have two questions:
1) How do I transfer my user profile so that my desktop doesn't change
2) How do I delete windows from the old hdd so that I can make the old hdd a dedicated media storage drive

Solution
Use windows easy transfer to export your settings to a file on your current hard drive.
Disconnect the hard drive and do your windows install on your ssd.
If you don't, windows will try to put a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive complicating things.
After windows new install on the ssd, reattach your hard drive and you can import your settings using easy transfer.
You can just delete the windows files from your old hard drive; your user files will still be intact.
Any apps that used the registry will need to be reinstalled.

If your new ssd can hold the contents of your hard drive, you could just clone.
Intel and Samsung have free clone utilities to clone to their ssd drives.

stavie131

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
you would have to create a system image of the drive that windows is currently on and then transfer that image to the ssd, then you can just format the old drive to have it as media storage

Use windows easy transfer to export your settings to a file on your current hard drive.
Disconnect the hard drive and do your windows install on your ssd.
If you don't, windows will try to put a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive complicating things.
After windows new install on the ssd, reattach your hard drive and you can import your settings using easy transfer.
You can just delete the windows files from your old hard drive; your user files will still be intact.
Any apps that used the registry will need to be reinstalled.

If your new ssd can hold the contents of your hard drive, you could just clone.
Intel and Samsung have free clone utilities to clone to their ssd drives.

Solution

Just delete the windows folders.
But... because your clean install created a new registry, your programs will not find their registry and will need to be reinstalled.

If this is a big problem, buy a sufficiently large ssd.
Samsung clone utility has an option to exclude from cloning some user selected data files such as video files that might help to make things fit.

TacoOfAwesomness

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

If i can transfer files, could I transfer the operating system cause I have a lot of stuff that would be a pain to re-install

stavie131

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
do a clean install of windows on your ssd, tranfer over your important files (music, docs, pictures etc) then you can format your drive and reinstall all your programs onto that