[SOLVED] Puzzling Crashes (possibly overheating)

honkeytot

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
win 7
cpu: i7-3820 (cheap water cooled)
mobo: giga x79-ud3
gpu: 1060 (few months older than my problem)
ssd: Sam 850
ram: 16gb of some cheap 1333 ddr3
psu: some random 500W that i've had for like 5 years

I get a crash and reboot after playing more demanding games for over 30 mins. (Madden & The Forest) Never get it in Path of Exile or Slay the Spire(which run 10 degrees or so cooler). If I rush back into a game it will crash instantly. If i give it an extra 30 seconds it takes a few more before crashing. Which makes me think something is overheating.

I just replaced my 3820 with another less used in an attempt to fix this. So with my room temp dropped to 15C/60F and with fresh themal paste it ranges from 30C to roughly 50C. Before I swapped it would range from 34C to 59C.
gpu ranges from 24C to 37C
Ran Furmark for close to 10 mins at like 64C no problems
Ran the cpu burn for 20 mins with no crash pushing 60C
Ran the typical scans
Ran MemTest
Newest bios and gpu drivers.

I'll gladly post any logs or anything else requested. Thanks for the time.

Last edited:
Solution
I suspect it's a PSU problem. You didn't mention any CPU throttling and they usually do that when the heat rises sufficiently.

Get a good PSU. If you continue with this one and the crashed continue it could damage other comp-onents. Never but a poor PSU in a computer. Everything connected to the computer relies on clean, stable power to function correctly. It's the last component you want to go ceap on.
I suspect it's a PSU problem. You didn't mention any CPU throttling and they usually do that when the heat rises sufficiently.

Get a good PSU. If you continue with this one and the crashed continue it could damage other comp-onents. Never but a poor PSU in a computer. Everything connected to the computer relies on clean, stable power to function correctly. It's the last component you want to go ceap on.

Solution