Pwm fan aio connector

judewilliams22

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
So my nzxt kraken x62 fans were extremely loud. They were directly connected the chasis fan ports on my asrock extreme4 mobo. But I changed it to the connectors coming from my cpu cooler (pwm I think) The fans have 4 pin slot holes but the connector only had 3. So this worked slowed down the fans and quietened down but now I don't think enough air is getting through. There is like a tiny draft of air making it through the radiator. Yet bios says theyre still stuck at 2200rpm?!. I hear pwm automatically changes fan speed is that whats happened to mine? But my mobo cpu fan only has 3 pins.Thanks

judewilliams22

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018

well I connected them back to chassis fans temporary as I was worried about lack of air flow. My mobo supports pwm I think but basically the pwm connectors come out of the kraken x62 cpu liquid cooler the bit that's ontop of the cpu. It has like 4 or 5 connectors for fans. But before and after the fans are still stuck at 2200 rpm according to the bios mobo and the fans are still loud either way. I was thinking about getting the be quiet silent wings 3 pwm. I need power to push the radiator but they need to be quiet would this work?

"the bit that's ontop of the cpu" is the pump and needs top run full speed. How were your temperatures when radiator fan(s) were connected to CPU_Fan ?
With such large AiO cooler, radiator fans should not have to run at full or very fast speeds most of the time. If temperatures are low you need not worry abut fan speeds.

judewilliams22

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018

Yea my temps are great in my opinion cpu never above 30 on idle never above 60 on load same with gpu my cpu is usually 23 degrees with either connected fans so it doesent really affect my temps but I cant tell how hot my ram is using cam. Like I said I unplugged them and put them back in chassis fans so I think they cant be changed when using this port theyre just stuck on max speed. But if I connect them back to pwm from the pump ontop of the cpu it should automatically change fan speed according to temps? And as long as my temps are good everything is ok?

Yeah, It's all about temperatures but also noise. As radiator fans have same function on liquid cooling as in air cooling, best is to let CPU temperature regulate their speed. Least noise that way. Apart from GPU fans, CPU fans are among noisist ones.

judewilliams22

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018

Ok but does pwm just do that itself it will automatically change the speed or do I need to do something

PWM (Pulse With Modulation) works different way than voltage regulation. Pulses are sent to fourth pin and they vary in length and frequency actually turning on and off a motor rapidly. It's more fine speed adjustment but if not used motor speed can still be adjusted by voltage. Full 12v makes it work full speed and lowering voltage makes it weaker and air resistance makes it slow down. In any case both values are adjusted by BIOS unless connected straight to PSU in which case speed is not adjustable.

judewilliams22

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018

ah ok well its connected to my cpu cooler so ye

Feb 17, 2019
My ASRock 970 extreme 4, has various fan outputs. Two of these are 4 pin pwm. There is one pwm for cpu fan, and one pwm for chassis fan. The secondary cpu fan connector and all other chassis fan connectors are all 3 pin.

Until now, my CPU fan has gone to the cpu pwm, and my chassis fans have been controlled by the chassis fan pwm.

Just had an Antec Mercury 360 through in the post. Looking at it, the fans daisy chain to a 4 pin pwm connector. The pump goes to two connectors. The first is SATA, for pump power. The second is a 3 pin, presumably for monitoring.

Presumably it's a good idea to have the pump monitor wire connected to cpu pwm, to shut everything off if the pump fails. If I do that, how can I control the radiator fans with pwm. The only options I can think of are: a) connecting radiator fans up with chassis fans. Fans will always go at same speed as chassis fans. b) connecting monitor wire to cpu fan 2 (3 pin) for monitoring but won't shut system off. c) Radiator fans to cpu pwm. System won't shut down if pump stops.

Ideally, the motherboard would control the speed of the radiator fans based on cpu temps, but shut everything off if the pump fails. I can't think of a way around this.

If your board is the same as mine, the pwm chassis fan header is located next to the big motherboard power connector.