[SOLVED] PWM or DC fan?

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Good day all,

I am planning to clean my pc inside so in the meantime I think to change my fans BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 14 cm 1000rpm (3pin) to BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 14 cm PWM 1600rpm. Also it is kind of hot in my case sometimes the Cpu(I7 10700k) temps are perfect (around 70degrees during gaming) but the GPU (MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10GB) temps are kind of hot (around 82degrees). The case is a BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx.

Do you think the pwm fans with higher rpm is better than my actual fans with 1000rpm and dc control?
And is it going to get better temp my Gpu if I change the fans for pwm with higher rpm?

Thanks for your replies.

Solution
Thank you for your response guys.
My other question that is it matter if the exhaust fan (in my case the rear fan) is also going fo be pwm? What I mean my two front fans pwm is going to be intake and the one rear fan pwm is going to be exhaust. Is the airflow going to be okay?
All the fans 14cm
Again, PWM or DC control is not a measure of fan's performance. Important part is not to mix PWM and DC controlled fans on same header.
For best case cooling you want to equalize intake and exhaust but that also depends on case itself, cases that have a lot of "leakage" of air are better off with more of intake air flow. Tightly sealed cases, other way around.
Good day all,

I am planning to clean my pc inside so in the meantime I think to change my fans BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 14 cm 1000rpm (3pin) to BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 14 cm PWM 1600rpm. Also it is kind of hot in my case sometimes the Cpu(I7 10700k) temps are perfect (around 70degrees during gaming) but the GPU (MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10GB) temps are kind of hot (around 82degrees). The case is a BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx.

Do you think the pwm fans with higher rpm is better than my actual fans with 1000rpm and dc control?
And is it going to get better temp my Gpu if I change the fans for pwm with higher rpm?

Thanks for your replies.
PWM fans have better speed control but max speed has nothing to do with that. Max fan speed is not a measure of it's cooling ability, static pressure and air moving volume (CFM) are.

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
My other question that is it matter if the exhaust fan (in my case the rear fan) is also going fo be pwm? What I mean my two front fans pwm is going to be intake and the one rear fan pwm is going to be exhaust. Is the airflow going to be okay?
All the fans 14cm

All the fans 14cm
Again, PWM or DC control is not a measure of fan's performance. Important part is not to mix PWM and DC controlled fans on same header.
For best case cooling you want to equalize intake and exhaust but that also depends on case itself, cases that have a lot of "leakage" of air are better off with more of intake air flow. Tightly sealed cases, other way around.

Solution

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
I know I might overthinking this. Thanks for your help. The case is well sealed with tempered glass on the side. I have 2 intake front and one exhaust rear fans. So it means I have positive pressure in my case. All the fans set to run on same speed around 800rpm. Now it is clear for me.
Thanks again

I know I might overthinking this. Thanks for your help. The case is well sealed with tempered glass on the side. I have 2 intake front and one exhaust rear fans. So it means I have positive pressure in my case. All the fans set to run on same speed around 800rpm. Now it is clear for me.
Thanks again
Once you manually set fan to certain peed it doesn't matter if DC or PWM. It may be more practical to set their speed curve in BIOS tied to case temperature.

Reactions: Selynelar