[SOLVED] PyQt5_tools problem

Jul 20, 2020
"Application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized.
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

That is the message every time I try to run the exe. for an application called Zoom Effects Manager 1.1.0

I have done some research and I think I didn't have some necessary software installed.

So I installed Python 3.8, PyQt5, and PyQt5_tools through the PIP in the Command Prompt.
I have verified PyQt5 is installed through Python IDLE, but PyQt5_tools seems not to be recognised by IDLE.

But the error message is the same for some of the PyQt5 exe. files.
A YT vid showed me how a copy and paste of some of the PyQt5 folders can fix this problem, and it did.

But the problem still persists for Zoom Effects Manager.

Can anyone help me understand what PyQt5 is and why it hasn't fixed my problem?

Here is one of the vids I used for help.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzZ2g4uIH04

Solution
"Looking at the list of .dll files in the folder in the vid above, the one I think I am missing is msvcr120.dll. "

Yes: a missing .dll file is significant.

The file may not necessarily be missing - the file could have ended up in another folder and/or the app is looking in the wrong folder.

[Noted that you have 4 drives - nothing astray there per se. But all the more chances of a file ending up elsewhere than might be expected. Check path names, especially defaults, being used by the apps.]

If you google the msvcr120.dll file name you will find a number of links regarding the missing file and how to restore the file.

Many such sites want to download something beyond just the file as part of recovery/solution. And can be...

Ralston18

Titan
Zoom Effects Manager - for guitar music effects?

Reference:

PyQt5:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/pyqt/pyqt_tutorial.pdf

More information is needed about the working environment, the problem, and the fix that was attempted.

Also update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Reactions: SkyMonkey7
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks @Ralston18.

My system:
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
i7-4771
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H-CF
2 x Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8Gb 800MHz (PC3-12800J)
C: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB
D: Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB
E: ASUS BW-16D1HT
F: Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB
Mainly used as workstation and DAW (no gaming)

As I said, following the procedure in the vid fixed the running of exe. files in the PyQt5 folder, but did not fix the Zoom Effects Manager (ZEM) exe. in it's desktop folder. ZEM seems not to be able to find PyQt5.
I did try copying the same files in the vid to the ZEM folder but this didn't help.
I was NOT confident enough to do the reverse, i.e. copy the Zoom folder into the PyQt5 folder.
My level of programming skills are woeful so the PyQt5 info you attached quickly becomes incomprehensible to me.
But the ZEM is a widget of the type described in the introduction and the GUI of PyQt5 designer.exe (i.e. one of the ones that the file copy fixed) looks very similar to the vids I have seen of ZEM in action.

Skip to 0:43

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLV3Knv6ub0

I cannot seem to to attach a snip of my ZEM folder, but...
Looking at the list of .dll files in the folder in the vid above, the one I think I am missing is msvcr120.dll.
Could this be significant.

This is in no way a matter of life and death, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"Looking at the list of .dll files in the folder in the vid above, the one I think I am missing is msvcr120.dll. "

Yes: a missing .dll file is significant.

The file may not necessarily be missing - the file could have ended up in another folder and/or the app is looking in the wrong folder.

[Noted that you have 4 drives - nothing astray there per se. But all the more chances of a file ending up elsewhere than might be expected. Check path names, especially defaults, being used by the apps.]

If you google the msvcr120.dll file name you will find a number of links regarding the missing file and how to restore the file.

Many such sites want to download something beyond just the file as part of recovery/solution. And can be somewhat misleading about all that in one way or another.

Overall I would be, and I am, very leery of such sites for a number of obvious reasons.

At this point, my recommendation is that you restore the file via Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...l-c-2013-and-visual-c-redistributable-package

First determine which package is applicable to your environment.

Second, determine which folder the file(s) should be in and if that is the folder being used by the software in question.

Then put a copy of the flles in that location.

What I usually do in such circumstances is to download the desired package/ file to an interim folder so the file can be subjected to additional AV scans etc. and I can look at the file parameters; File size, time and date stamp.

As always, be sure to have your system fully backed up and that the backups are verified to be recoverable and readable.

I just did a search on my system using "msvcr*.dll". Search resulted in about 80 hits with about 8 or 9 specifically being "120". The files were spread out across a number of folders....

Do a search on your system. First using the wildcard "msvcr*.dll" and then target "msvcr120.dll. Discover what msvcr files you have and where they are located.

Check the file parameters.

Then, as necessary copy the required msvcr120.dll file to the proper folder location.

Do not be surprised that, after doing so, the app will then present another "missing *.dll" error message. Such files tend to get lost in bunches.

Good that there is no need to rush. Safer and being methodical will certainly help avoid making matters worse.

And, in the meantime, someone else who reads this thread may have additional thoughts and suggestions. I have no problem with that.

Reactions: SkyMonkey7
Solution
Jul 20, 2020
Cheers @Ralston18.
Looking at the last vid again I notice his msvcr120.dll was last modified in 2013, whilst all the ones we have in common are 2019. That seems to suggest he added it himself.
I have searched the C: and found several mscvr120.dll files, some are exactly the 949 KB of his.
I copied each one in turn over to the ZEM folder but still no-go.

I left a comment on the guys YT vid, but don't really expect a reply.
Not sure what else to do.
I don't want to go much deeper into this for the sake of the ZEM software.
Thanks for your time @Ralston18 (y)

Jul 20, 2020
So I went back to the site where I originally downloaded ZEM 1.1.0 and there was another version available (1.1.1).
It works, so the problem must have been that the version available when I first went there was incomplete.
Cheers for your help @Ralston18.

D

Deleted member 14196

Download and install the Microsoft vcredist redistributable for 2019 because it replaces 2013 and 2015 and should contain the DLL that you need