Q&A: CyberPower's Core i7 Gaming Laptop Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Why is Tom's asking CyberPower questions like they designed the laptop....Clevo did. This is no secret. All CyberPower does is put the parts in and provide a warranty. They had NOTHING to do with the engineering of this laptop.

Now if Tom's were to talk to Clevo, then I would be a lot more interested since their answers would actually mean something since they actually did the work to come up with this design.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Heavy and eats the battery... I would still get it because its very attractive and i like the specs on it. They should have just added extra features to reduce battery drain and extra cooling features then it would have been a complete package for me. I still think its a decent buy if you have the cash...

G

I personally would probably rather sell it if it was given to me for about 75% of the newprice, and buy myself a high end portable dualcore netbook, a nano desktop, and another netbook for that price.
Or perhaps I'd go for a smaller Corei7 shuttle sized desktop, with a netbook.
I find no benefit whatsoever in a notebook that lasts only 1hour in battery; not only that, but if it breaks (which is a possibility due to heat) the whole netbook needs replacing!
Plus the graphics card is not (very) upgradeable.
If I sell the notebook, and buy a corei7 desktop, I'll probably still have money left (with which I would be able to buy a $300 netbook).

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Either its a laptop or a mobile workstation, you sir made a laptop. Honestly, how much serious work can you get done in 45 minutes. If you need that power to get your work done chances are its in the creative field and once you start getting into your work the battery is dead.
Now if you build a computer into a brief case and had to plug it in wherever you went that would be something. i Just don't get the ultrapowered notebook guys, cost too much, heavy, short battery, runs too hot and its still not a decent desktop replacement.

roastmaster

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
CYBERPOWER sells crappy product. FACT: This is a Clevo notebook that cyberpowre just added hard drive, cpu, and memory. So it's not actually there's notebook to begin with.

G

nice commercial, i wonder how much tom's got paid for the spot

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]sdgwer[/nom]nice commercial, i wonder how much tom's got paid for the spot[/citation]

You can't be serious. I asked questions that would matter to someone interested in buying this system, the answers to which were not available on CyberPower's website.

Here's an easy to read break down of what I asked:

Q1: What kind of battery life has this thing got?

Q2: Competitors have similar systems that weigh a ton. How much does your's weigh?

Q3: Why didn't you just make a $2000 Core i7 desktop that would probably sell better?

Q4: This thing costs $2000 and in a few months will be out of date. Why didn't you wait?

Q5: Given that it's going to be out of date in less than six months, what's going to happen to this model once that day comes?

Q6: How hot does it get and what kind of cooling system is in there?

The answers CyberPower gave might sound like an advertisement or salesman talk but get real, if you were selling a product, you'd put a positive spin everything too.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Anybody at Tom's over the last month heard of the Alienware M17x??? I guess not. Perhaps instead of a silly Q&A session, Tom's might want to commit to a full notebook review, since I cannot remember the last time I saw a notebook review on Tom's.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]Anybody at Tom's over the last month heard of the Alienware M17x??? I guess not. Perhaps instead of a silly Q&A session, Tom's might want to commit to a full notebook review, since I cannot remember the last time I saw a notebook review on Tom's.[/citation]

No offense, but if you're looking for notebook reviews in the news section, you won't find them. Different department entirely.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
i7 gaming laptops aren't new.
I remember coming accross with with dual 4870 mobiles.

Desktop replacement with better portability, that's all.

Regardless, I enjoyed this interview.
The questions we all longed to know were all asked (weight, battery, heat, and why).
I personaly would like one of this, though maybe not from CyberPower.

Just a side note...
I remember during the last system builder marathon, in the extreme system, they managed to set the voltage pretty low and still overclock it. How low could you throw the voltage on this baby if you were only looking for, say, 2.2GHz on the cores for both heat and battery life issues?

yao

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I want to buy a pc from cyberpowerpc. Does anyone actually own a CyberPowerPc? how realiable is the pc? I read many bad reviews on the Internet, but their price is very appealing.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]Anybody at Tom's over the last month heard of the Alienware M17x??? I guess not. Perhaps instead of a silly Q&A session, Tom's might want to commit to a full notebook review, since I cannot remember the last time I saw a notebook review on Tom's.[/citation]

Acutally, i have to agree with him on this one. The Alienware M17 is far better than Cyber Power's Xtreme-S1. Just look them up and compare... The alienware has far better features and designs. One thing i can say that i don't like about Alienware pricing is that the processors they use (i.e. in the stock M17) is NOT an Extreme processor. Once you decide to buy it, you have to customize your purchase to what you want...the price cranks to 3000+ for high end parts including the Extreme processor overclocked and Dual GTX280's. With Cyberpower, you get the specs listed as well as the price...and you can upgrage to a Core i7-975 for more money. So i said earlier as an opinion, Cyberpower has a good product here and i'm sticking to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.