Q&A Session With AMD and Troublemakers Behind Opteron and FirePro 'Machete' Hard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chesterman

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]And Nvidia gpu's were used for District9,Star Trek and Avitar. Dont know what CPUs were used tho. Just the other day, AMD dropped the ATI name and are running it under the AMD brand real soon. Could this be a paid advertisement so people of toms can see AMD cpus and ATI gpus ran together harmoniously under one brand? This is all a advertisement so that you can start training your head to see it as one company.[/citation]

i like toms and AMD (i have a phenom and a radeon), but i cannot avoid thinking like you.
toms does a lot of bad press in a subtle way in nvidia and much good (sometimes over the limit) press over AMD.

sorry for my poor english

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet. Troublemaker Studios is owned by Robert Rodriguez and many of his shots are actually filmed in his home in Austin, Texas. Trouble Maker studios is in Austin, Texas. AMD is based in....you guessed it, Austin, Texas. That's the connection.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]chesterman[/nom]nice, i like amd too, but i'm thinking this has turned into a fanboy news. in fact, it looks like a paid advertisement.[/citation]I think kind of the same thing. Though it does sort of legitimize in a sector which may be a lot dominated by invidia, as AVID only works with invidia. WETA was quoted as using invidia, etc.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i don't really buy the "Bang for the Buck" rule. it doesn't quantify the time savings you get over the period you're going to use the machine. i'm sure these studios pay good money for highly skilled graphics professionals. if you compute the hours saved multiply by their average wage rate, it will add up significantly. the major point Troubleshooters chose AMD is they want platform stability (AMD on AMD) and driver quality.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Wow....I am so surprised at a lot of you guys. It's always back and forth on "blah-blah is being advertised because Tom's is biased towards AMD or Nvidia. Do you people not realize how back and forth it is whenever one company is on top? The same story all the time with all the idiots out there thinking that certain sites are biased toward one company or the other. It is first and foremost about price/performance! ATI has that lead (besides the 460), so naturally there will be Nvidia fanboys/idiot people thinking that this is an advertisement for AMD. Go try and overclock your GTX 480 you fanboi and burn in hell while your at it! ;). Anyways, AMD has come a long way and is doing a fantastic job at bringing new tech in a timely manner. Nvidia is trying to keep up, but I'm sure they will make a come back eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.