q code 55

tigg

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
motherboard: asus maximus formula ix
gpu: gtx 1080 ti ftw3
memory: corsair dominator platinum 16gb 3600 mhz

i have recently built a new computer and some times when i start my computer my monitors stay black dont turn on and the mobo shows q code 55 . this happens maybe once or twice a week. i have 2 monitors hooked up 1 with hdmi and the other with dvi d i think.

the first time i ever had this problem was right after i build the computer and turned on xmp. all i did to fix that was take the ram out and put it back in that fixed the problem for a few weeks but now its back again maybe once or twice a week. all i gotta to to fix it for the day is hold down the power button get it to start in safe mode and restart it again.

so what would be causing this problem? is my ram bad? any tests i should run?

i have 2 monitors hooked up to my computer. when i first got the computer going the rog boot logo and win10 log in screen was always on the left monitor ( my main monitor) after the problem came back the rog logo is always on my right monitor now but the win10 login is still on the left.

Solution
www.memtest86.com

Create a USB stick (or DVD/CD) and boot to that (go into BIOS/UEFI to select quick boot or change boot order).

Run for a FULL PASS (roughly 20 to 30min per 8GB) or until errors.

OTHER:
3600MHz is very high (for Intel up to the fastest i7, 4C/8T CPU; AMD Ryzen and higher-core Intel CPU's are different). In fact, I doubt there's much benefit going above 2400MHz so instead of XMP I would drop down to 2400MHz or even 2133MHz.

Take it off of XMP and see what it defaults too, SAVE those settings then run MEMTEST86 for a full pass and if it passes just leave it there.

*2133MHz appears to be what it will default too. Higher in Dual Channel will likely not matter much.
www.memtest86.com

Create a USB stick (or DVD/CD) and boot to that (go into BIOS/UEFI to select quick boot or change boot order).

Run for a FULL PASS (roughly 20 to 30min per 8GB) or until errors.

OTHER:
3600MHz is very high (for Intel up to the fastest i7, 4C/8T CPU; AMD Ryzen and higher-core Intel CPU's are different). In fact, I doubt there's much benefit going above 2400MHz so instead of XMP I would drop down to 2400MHz or even 2133MHz.

Take it off of XMP and see what it defaults too, SAVE those settings then run MEMTEST86 for a full pass and if it passes just leave it there.

*2133MHz appears to be what it will default too. Higher in Dual Channel will likely not matter much.

Solution
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-review

UPDATE: there's an i7-7700K (stock) vs i7-7700K at 4.8GHz and also one chart with an i5-7600K. you can see how the games do at different memory frequencies

The i7-7700K chart is probably the easiest to read.

Most of the games here don't benefit much beyond 2400MHz but some do. I'm not sure what to suggest as a clock speed for the memory as the VOLTAGE can also damage the CPU.

(at 1920x1080, at 2560x1440 or higher the CPU would likely not be as CPU-bound so benefit less from faster memory)

Intel recommends no more than 1.35V, and say 1.6V will absolutely damage the CPU (CPU's memory controller) at some point. 1.5V sits in between so it's not certain if that will or not.