Question Q code changed after enabling fTPM

Jul 12, 2021
I have a Crosshair VII Hero and a 2700x. All drivers, OS and bios are up to date as of this posting. I normally have AA as my post code after everything has fired up but in the process of enabling fTPM I now get code 33 after it boots. I've contacted ASUS and they said that they cannot determine why the code changed. Secure Boot is enabled and CSM is disabled. The machine still works fine so I'm not so much worried about the code rather than I'm curious as to why it changed. I've reseated the CPU, RAM, GPU, and it still shows 33. Now if I disable fTPM, it goes back to AA which is what it has always shown in the 3yrs since I built it. From what I gather the 33 code is a CPU Post Memory Initialization code but I've even swapped DIMMs with another PC in the house and it still showed 33, unless I disable the fTPM of course. The first thing ASUS said to do was reset the bios which did get rid of the 33 but that's only because it disables fTPM by default so that wasn't the solution. Like I said, it's not really an issue since it's running fine but I'm just curious as to if anyone here would have any knowledge on why it changed. I don't have any experience with fTPM because I have never had to have it enabled so if needed I can take a pic of the bios screen and post on here but I have not changed any of the default settings for it. Thanks in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
Curiosity noted :)

What was the reason for enabling fTPM?

Windows 11?

If so, enabling fTPM is probably quite premature and unnecessary for the time being.

That said, I will add that if everything is"running fine" then just accept "33" as the new normal and let "AA" go to history for the time being.

Things are likely to change again anyway.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Jul 12, 2021
Curiosity noted :)

What was the reason for enabling fTPM?

Windows 11?

If so, enabling fTPM is probably quite premature and unnecessary for the time being.

That said, I will add that if everything is"running fine" then just accept "33" as the new normal and let "AA" go to history for the time being.

Things are likely to change again anyway.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Yeah, It was for making sure that my hardware was compatible with Win 11. I don't know if I am going to be able to upgrade the system to newer components by the time Win 11 comes out so I was just making sure that if that was the case then I was forward compatible. I do not have it enabled at the moment because there's no need to have it enabled, it just seemed odd that the code would change by enabling fTPM. ASUS couldn't figure out what the issue was but the person I talked to said that they were going to forward my issue to the engineering dept. and if anything came of it that my contact info was attached to the email so I may hear back from them in the future. It's just a weird thing that happened and has made me wonder why it happened. Thanks for the reply.

Jul 12, 2021
You are welcome.

My takeaway is :

"ASUS couldn't figure out what the issue was but the person I talked to said that they were going to forward my issue to the engineering dept."

That says, without really saying anything, quite a bit......
Well, the person I talked to sounded like they were reading from a script, and didn't even know what fTPM stood for, so after I gleamed that tidbit of information, I didn't figure that I was gonna get an answer. I know I'll never hear back from the "engineering dept." so I figured I'd check around and see if anyone else had it happen to them. Not an issue, just has me stumped.