Q-Flash No Drive Found!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemms

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I have encountered a problem with a Gigabyte GA-M68MT-SP2 Mobo... I am now trying to re-flash the BIOS using Q-Flash, I have downloaded the correct files from Gigabyte and extracted them onto my flash drive, when I run Q-Flash however, it tells me it cannot find a drive... In BIOS the USB stick is clearly there and configured as first boot device. The Q-Flash version is V2.21 which sounds a bit early compared to what I have been seeing online, it is looking at the USB ports isn't it?

Lemms

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I have indeed and I've tried every single port on the system, running out of options to be honest which is why I was thinking maybe this version doesn't support USB.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
It's been a year since I flashed BIOS on my Gigabyte board, so my recollection is fuzzy... but I recall having the same problem as you. I think the solution is to have only the actual BIOS file on the flash drive and not the other two or three files. I extracted the zip file to my desktop then copied the BIOS file to the flash drive. And I don't think boot priority matters since you are not actually booting from the flash drive. Also, I think I went into BIOS first and selected Q-flash from there rather than using the f-key to open Q-flash.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
One other suggestion that may or may not matter... but makes a difference on my computer: Shut down the computer completely (not reboot) before plugging in the usb drive, then turn it back on.

Lemms

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I found out my flash drive was at fault, used another and bingo. But having reflashed the BIOS the original problem persisted, I spent hours trawling forums and trying things to sort it without luck. So I resorted to physical abuse, the back up BIOS it insisted on rewriting everytime it booted only to reset and begin again was obviously at fault, there is no way to manipulate the back up bios settings what so ever, so I desoldered the chip from the mobo and hey presto, it now works sweet as a nut.

I did originally swap the chips as they are identical thinking I could rewrite the back up bios directly using QFlash but obviously this caused a checksum error on the main bios and it wouldn't load CMOS.

So it pays to invest in some SMT rework gear and when there seems to be no hope, get butchering!

Status
Not open for further replies.