[SOLVED] Q-Flash with CPU Installed

Nov 5, 2020
Hi all -

I have a new 5600x installed in a b550 aorus pro. Everything powers on but I don't get video output. I'm thinking I need to update the BIOS through q-flash.

My question though - do I need to uninstall my CPU for q-flash to work, or can I keep everything installed?

Solution
Appreciate the response. Yes I do have it plugged into the GPU, not the motherboard, and have tried different monitors as well as different DVI cables.

I suspect as well that its a BIOS issue. Just to confirm, I can use the q-flash option with all of the hardware still installed? Do I actually need to have the PC booted, or can like the tutorials I've watched, flash while the power is connected, but the PC is "off"?

All you need to qflash is a USB with a bios file on it (download and extract it from the manufacturer website). Turn off your system > plug in the USB > if the videos you watched tells you to just press the qflash button when the system is off but still plugged in then you may do that too, the recommended way is...
Firstly is your video cable plugged into a graphics card or into the motherboard? Because the 5600X doesn't have an integrated GPU meaning it does not provide a graphical output like a normal intel CPU would. If your B550 has not been flashed to the leatest BIOS version (version F11d as depicted on the board's website) Then you may do so even with the chip installed. As the PC is booting up press and hold the q-flash button located on your motherboard's I/O panel. It should be labeled as such, can't miss it.

Nov 5, 2020
Firstly is your video cable plugged into a graphics card or into the motherboard? Because the 5600X doesn't have an integrated GPU meaning it does not provide a graphical output like a normal intel CPU would. If your B550 has not been flashed to the leatest BIOS version (version F11d as depicted on the board's website) Then you may do so even with the chip installed. As the PC is booting up press and hold the q-flash button located on your motherboard's I/O panel. It should be labeled as such, can't miss it.

Appreciate the response. Yes I do have it plugged into the GPU, not the motherboard, and have tried different monitors as well as different DVI cables.

I suspect as well that its a BIOS issue. Just to confirm, I can use the q-flash option with all of the hardware still installed? Do I actually need to have the PC booted, or can like the tutorials I've watched, flash while the power is connected, but the PC is "off"?

All you need to qflash is a USB with a bios file on it (download and extract it from the manufacturer website). Turn off your system > plug in the USB > if the videos you watched tells you to just press the qflash button when the system is off but still plugged in then you may do that too, the recommended way is to go into the BIOS and do it but if you can't see the BIOS then using the qflash when the system is off is your only way.

Last edited:
Solution