[Q] Installed Ubuntu - tried restoring windows 7 using norton ghost.Now system w

drajcula

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hi,

I have lenovo Ideapad z570 laptop.
I was running dual operating systems on same harddrive(750GB).
Yesterday, I decided to rollback to one of my previous windows installation that I had created before installing Ubuntu using Norton Ghost 14.0.
When I selected the image,after running the norton ghost recovery CD, the system immediately crashed(the image did not get restored).

after that,whenever I try to start my system it gives a PXI-E61 error(which I googled to find that its because my system is trying to boot over lan as it cannot boot from HDD)

I tried restoring the image,but now norton ghost cant detect the HDD.

I tried to repair using windows 7 too,but it does not detects any windows installed on the disk either!

I tried to access HDD by selecting 'install fresh windows 7' option on the CD and it lists the HDD without any partitions and asks for formatting it!

I dont want to lost 500GB of my data,its really important stuff of my family,frnds and life!
Please advice me what to do.
Thanks in advance

You need to have good backups of your important data(external drives aren't that expensive). It sounds like your image is corrupt. Have you tried restoring the image on another drive? There is a ghost product that will open an image file and allow you to pull files out of it, so this may be an option for you.

drajcula

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

dont know what bootloader I had.
No, I cant boot into either linux or windows 7.
I tried to check the partitions with windows7 installation disc and it gives the harddisk as unpartitioned and unformatted

drajcula

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

I checked the integrity of the image and it passed the test.
I booted using active partition recovery image and was able to recover the partitions.But the C drive where the OS was installed gives some SME/MBR error when I try to restore the image on it

Also,while recovering, I mistakingly created a logical and a primary link to the same partition. So now I have 2 references to same memory space.Is it possible to safely delete one of them.If yes,how?