Q6600 BSEL Mod Unstable

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Yes, I have a ten year old chip. I'm cheap. I did a BSEL mod (the one that you put tape on a pin) to get it up to 3GHz, but I have been getting BSODs during load ever since, and about 30 seconds with prime95 gives a BSOD as well. I know that I would just change a few things and see if it's stable, but my BIOS doesn't have overclocking features (hence the BSEL mod). I did a bit of research and haven't seen anyone have an unstable chip from a BSEL mod. The stock voltage is 1.325v, has a 5:6 fsb to ram ratio, and is a G0 chip. I was thinking I might have to do a voltage mod, but I don't have one of those magic pen things at the moment. If anyone knows why it would be unstable, please let me know.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not experienced with that - but, one thought is, do you know how hot the chip is getting? It may be possible that you need better cooling.

Also, is that 5:6 fsb-to-ram ratio the same as it originally was before the mod? If so, then you might need to change it to reflect the new FSB speed's relation to the RAM speed.

These are just guesses, though.

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

When playing intensive games, around 60c, and when idle around 35. I don't think I can put in a better cooler, considering this is a low profile desktop.

I didn't check what it was before the mod, but it's 333:400 now instead of 266:400, so I think it's a bit better than before.