q6600 getting VERY hot at IDLE

LeadGaming212

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
i recently installed WattOS on my computer and that meaned to take side panel of and put hdd in but when i tried booting it after putting the drive in it was idle at about 80c - 90c which is very bad and as i know about computers and i know what not to touch i just wanted to see how hot the heatsink got after about 20 mins of being in bios and i felt it and it did not feel even warm even near the bottom close to the cpu was not even warm so i am lead to believe that my Q6600 has died, it is the B3 model not the SLACR model so i was told it will get hotter than the other better SLACR Model. please if anyone has suggestions on what to do please do say them.

Solution
If the heatsink is cold, then it is no longer properly attached the CPU. Though in the BIOS with no load the CPU cooler might not get that warm.

Either way, given the age of the computer, probably time to apply new thermal compound.

If the CPU were dead, you would not be sitting in the BIOS.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If the heatsink is cold, then it is no longer properly attached the CPU. Though in the BIOS with no load the CPU cooler might not get that warm.

Either way, given the age of the computer, probably time to apply new thermal compound.

If the CPU were dead, you would not be sitting in the BIOS.

Solution