[SOLVED] Q6600 OC 3.6GHZ - any suggestions?

Jan 13, 2021
Hi I decided to overlock a bit my old pc.

Specification :

Q6600 rev G0

GA-X38-DS5

DDR 2 4x2GB 800 MHZ

Scythe Mugen 4

LC Power 650W LC6650GP3 v2.3

GTS 250 1GB

oc1.jpg

oc2.jpg

I am pretty newbie in OC, my settings are on screenshoot above. Test it with OCCT for 2 hours, get 0 errors, play some games everything seems alright no blue screens and other errors/crash. Max Temp what I get was around 65 degrees. My question is, do u have guys any ideas what I should like change or any suggestions to make even more correctly or I if is just everything work without any blue screens/crash I should leave it like that?

sry for my english :S.

Solution
generally, you up the multiplier until it is unstable. then raise the voltage 1 step and try again. going back and forth until you find the max it can handle and still be stable.

of course the temps and such will go up as you do this so you need to pay close attention.

but honestly, if you got 3 ghz out of it and all is good, it may be best left alone. i have a q6600 that's been running at 3 ghz for years and has no issues. i never bothered trying to go higher as a few more ghz is not gonna make much difference in that old cpu overall.

i left good enough alone

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
generally, you up the multiplier until it is unstable. then raise the voltage 1 step and try again. going back and forth until you find the max it can handle and still be stable.

of course the temps and such will go up as you do this so you need to pay close attention.

but honestly, if you got 3 ghz out of it and all is good, it may be best left alone. i have a q6600 that's been running at 3 ghz for years and has no issues. i never bothered trying to go higher as a few more ghz is not gonna make much difference in that old cpu overall.

i left good enough alone

Solution
Jan 13, 2021

i left good enough alone

I'll probably stay at this point where I am (satisfaction me). Going higher for like 3.8 GHZ and up vcore I guess isnt good idea. For that i'll need to change pc case cuz I have really old one and buy new thermal paste without this temps i'll be crazy, alot more higher that they are right now, not really sure if its good move for this olddie.