q9550 seen as P3Xeon 2.83mhz & 4gb ram as 2gb

LordRipper

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Hi guys, I've got 3 questions.

I just upgraded to a q9550 on a Gigabyte X48-DS4 mobo and windows xp sees it as a xeon of equal speed. I know it isn't always accrurate in what it reports, I was just wondering if this is normal and/or has any effect on the performance of the cpu ?

I also got what was supposed to be 2x2gb OCZ gold 800 mhz ram. Put them in, and when I saw I was only getting 2gb I tried them individually, which were seen in the bios as 1gb each. The barcode on the packet matches that of the 4 gig kit, but surely dabs.com have got it mixed up with the 2gig kit, I'll speak to them tommorrow but am I missing something although I seriously doubt it...?

It's a pain cos I can't re-order the same line and my older 667 ram when put in stops the pc from POSTing. - Why is that ? I'd have to order another brand 4gb kit at a higher price, and send back the other when I recieve it. - I don't want to wait anymore, as I have already had to wait 15 days for them to come back in stock !

Thanks in advance ;)

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
What does CPU-Z show the processor as? It sounds like mislabled RAM, although CPU-Z will also list the specs for the RAM. What does the BIOS show the RAM and CPU as?

LordRipper

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Ah yes CPUZ sees the correct q9950 but also sees 2gb ram. - Why would I want to update my bios - its a brand new mobo - newest x48 chipset...? hopefully it is a labelling problem I'll find out tommorrow, - I hope.

HyperBladeST

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
It's jsut that some motherboard have problem identifying the CPU. A simple BIOS update could fix it. Your mobo might be brand new but it might not have the latest BIOS.

Check the SPD tab in CPU-Z. You can see what the motherboard see in each memory slot.

LordRipper

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
CPUZ sees a 1 gig module in each slot - I defo ordered the 4 gig kit, it even says so on my invoice. Besides - the difference in price for these modules 2x1gb and 2x2gb is only around £5 !

Any ideas why the 667 ddr2 won't work on the new mobo ? - Surely I wouln't need a bios update to be backwards compatible ?